Friday 22 August 2014

Island Life Round II - Card 11

Last year I won a set of stamps called Island Life from Marks Finest Papers. This set has two good sized images and many sentiments. I used the other image from this set on this card here.

I played with my Tim Holtz stains on some water colour paper before I left home and brought a few of the finished sheets with me up to the lake. One of them reminded me of the sky at night maybe just before or just after a storm...so I decided to use the second image from this set with it. The image on this background makes me think of the importance of safe harbour.

This card is going to someone who is going through some uncertainty right now.  So no matter what is brewing at sea, or on the lake, no matter what life holds, safe harbour is key. Family and friends can be that harbour and I wanted to show we are there.


Sadly, I did not think to write down the stain colours I used...my bad! The image is stamped with Momento brown and coloured with Prisma pencils and gamsol. It is so much easier and lighter to bring pencils to the lake instead of copics.

I made a little boo-boo when colouring and somehow dented the paper at the top right. I fussy cut out the image and pop dotted it onto another piece of matching card. This time I chalked the sky, trying to get something a little safer and calmer looking than the shades in the background. I just used a cotton puff for removing makeup to do the chalking...cuz that is what I had up here...lol.  A quick mat with a snippet of distressed brown card and it was ready to place on the background.


The sentiment is Tim Holtz. I stamped direct to card. I am getting braver with that now.

I am happy with how this turned out. I have been trying to shake things up a bit with my card making by trying some new techniques. The TH stains have a learning curve, that is for sure. But I won't learn if I don't practice, so expect more of these backgrounds to show up on my blog.

P.S. I wet both sides of the water colour paper before running through the stain. I let it air dry and then weighted it. If there is a better way, please let me know. It was still not completely flat, but once attached to
the card base, it seemed fine. I wondered if I should have ironed it...

I am entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets
2. Marks Finest Papers Inspirational Challenge The Blue S&P made me think of the sky and the sea.
3. Mod Squad Challenge - Coastal Inspiration



24 comments:

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

A gorgeous card Maureen. I love the sky background you did with your chalks its beautiful. A lovely image too! Susan x

nwilliams6 said...

You are having tooo much fun at the lake! Love that fun TH stained bg - so perfect for your image and everything ties together so well! This card is super lovely and perfect for someone facing a lot of struggles - it is very calming! Hugz!

Veerle said...

Beautiful Maureen. And I love the background behind your image pannel. Veerle x

aussie aNNie said...

FABulous and cleverly made card, so much to look at and your design, colours and chosen image is awesome...love it and loving your sky background...very very nice.....have a lovely weekend.xxx
♥aNNie The Journey is the Start

brenda said...

What a beautifully tranquil scene Mo, could almost imagine being there.

B x

wannabcre8tive said...

Wow, this is so pretty. I love the serene look and those pencils worked wonderfully to achieve that look. You did a great job on the fabulous background. The sky is beautiful-you worked magic with the chalk. Thank you for joining us for the Speedy TV Inspiration Challenge.

Sue said...

Such a lovely card Mo! it's really lovely have a wonderful weekend huggles from us all here..Sue xx

jimlynn said...

That background with the stains and watercolor paper is gorgeous! This is such a beautiful and calming card and know it's going to be loved. Just simply beautiful!
Lynn

coldwaters2 said...

Wow Mo this is totally awesome, what a beautiful scene and love that background, superb card.
hugs
lorraine x

cuilliesocks said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Mo, I love the image and your colouring is fantastic. I'm sure your friend will gain great comfort from it. hugs Kate x

Kathleen said...

Gorgeous scene and wonderful colouring, great image.

Kath x

Karen Petitt said...

Mo that is gorgeous! A really pretty stamp set and you have coloured it beautifully. I am due to do The Creative Blog Hop on Monday and one of my picks has had to drop out due to a family emergency.
You always inspire me with your gorgeous creations and your lovely outlook on life.
I would love you to be one of my picks Mo. There's not loads to do but if you are interested I can send you an email that tells you what will be the next step after me picking you.
However huni I don't want to pressure you into doing as I know you have health issues at times. Just leave me a comment if you can and I'll email the details. If you can't then don't worry - I won't pester you or make you feel guilty.
Have a lovely weekend Karen xx

Hettie said...

This is beautiful Mo. I love the image and the boat cut out was worth it.
I would have ironed it. The only time I don't mind ironing is when it involves crafting stuff.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs
xx

MaryH said...

You did a marvelous job with these stains. I've got some, but don't think I've ever used them (a learning curve as you say). I see so many beautiful cards made with them. (I need you here to motivate me!) Your background is just wonderful, and I love the stamped image. You did great on the chalking too. I liked your analogy behind the image...so very true. Great card, Maureen. Hope this lake visit is going terrific for you. TFS & Hugs

debby4000 said...

Oh what a beautiful card.
luv
Debby

Di said...

Oh how beautiful Mo. Wonderful colouring of the image and the backing is perfect! You are going for different looks aren't you - and with huge success too!

Hugs, Di xx

cotnob said...

Such a wonderful scene Mo, beautifully coloured and another fabulous background
Pauline
x

Pia S said...

This is a little piece of art, with your own made background, which looks fantastic, and the peaceful nautical scenery. It's lovely!

MagsB said...

What a lovely scene! Your background chalk colours are just so gorgeous, the sky has amazing depth! And I also love the decoupaged boat, too! Great work!!

love Mags B x

Tracy said...

Such a sweet card to give to your friend.
I am sure it will put a smile on their face to receive it.

Glenda Atkins said...

Awesome card, totally love the background, wonderfully done!
hugs
Glenda

Sassy Raggedy said...

Wonderful background and love the image. Just beautiful....Hugs, joann sassy raggedy

Carol L said...

I'm sure this serene and peaceful card will bring comfort to the recipient! Beautiful water coloring and background!

Unknown said...

Ooh I love this! The image looks great and so does the background!
Lucy x