Saturday 2 August 2014

Carol Chirping Round II - Card 2

I was given this adorable image when I guest designed (quite some time ago) for Hazel at Crafty Hazelnuts Christmas Challenge Extra. I was lucky enough to be able to make my own choice of images...I could not resist this  cheerful little trio. They are the Winter Bird Trio from Bugaboo Digi Stamps.

As part of my personal quest to use my NBUS, I have finally made this sweet image up into a card.
I cut the image with a Spellbinders oval die and matted that with a Spellbinders Floral Oval.


I usually forget to add lace and ribbon till it is too late...but somehow managed to remember this time. I wrapped the lace around a snippet of blue and silver 12x12 patterned paper. Sorry I do not know the name as it was from my snippets file and was unmarked.

The ribbon was a case of making lemonade from lemons...literally. I wanted to tie in the yellow of the birds and decided to use a bit of yellow ribbon...only to find that the only yellow ribbon I had up at the lake, had lemon slices on it. So I stuck it down on top of the lace anyway, and added a pink diamond in the center of each lemon slice.  If you scrinch up your eyes and look at it carefully, they are now Christmas baubles! lol

Once I had the birds added to the card, I didn't like that the tree trunk seemed massive. It is not massive in the digi image, but because I chose to use an oval die, it made the tree seem really wide. So...it was feathers to the rescue again. I had a few different colours of dotted feathers and luckily there were some yellow ones. After I got those attached, I added a bit of leftover pink bling from the flower hairbands I made in the past. That seemed to do the trick and anchor them on the card.

I used a snippet of black card to cut a Memory Box note die but trimmed it down to fit the card corner.
I then cut their Merry die twice so I could layer it for a bit of depth. I would have done the same with the note die but I had just used the last snippet of that black textured card.

No recipe tonight as it was 35 Celcius today, and I am tired from the heat. I have given you the recipe in long form anyway!

I am entering this card in the following challenges.
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets
2. Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge - must cover card with paper
3. DL.ART - Thankful Thursday Christmas in July
4. Crafting For All Seasons - Challenge 82 Christmas in July
5. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything goes
6. Crafty Hazelnuts Christmas Challenge Extra - must be Christmas
7. Mark's Finest Papers Speedy TV - Christmas Card Challenge

37 comments:

DIANA L. said...

Beautiful card Great Background and I just love your little birds
Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday #137 “Christmas in July” challenge, Have a Blessed day,Ps. I just became your newest follower I hope you'll follow me to. DIANA L.
http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com



Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

I can see why you loved this adorable image Maureen! Such a sweet card I love the different elements you have used. My but you certainly have it hot! We are boiling if it gets to 27!! Susan xx

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Mo, lovely card, love the jolly wee birds, great layout and colours, have a really good weekend, kate x

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Mo they look a great trio of fun super colouring, loving the die cuts you have used a terrific Christmas card.
hugs
lorraine x

Doreen said...

Lovely image and papers,just gorgeous.xxx

Jo Nevill said...

Such a great, fun card. I love the image you used.

Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Wednesday Challenge this week.

Jo x

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful card, love that image.xx// You may like to join my birthday candy on my blog. ♥aNNie

The Journey is the Start

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
what a wonderful snippets card.
Those birds look like they are enjoying themselves, and little bit merry.
Have they perhaps had a tipple or two.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

McCrafty's Cards said...

Beautiful card Mo, I like the image and the embellishments.
Kevin xx

Sharon said...

This is such a sweet image and a gorgeous design. Love it.
Enjoy the rest of your week.
Hugs Sharon. x

Barb said...

Lovely card and those birds are so sweet, great background and embellishments especially the feathers. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafting for all Seasons. Barb specially the feathers.

Kathleen said...

Stunning card, love the images and the colours.
Thanks for your comments on my RD card, sorry not able to comment on yours and all being well I will be joining you next year, huge thanks for taking it on.

Kath x

Carol L said...

oh how completely CUTE is this card! I love those caroling birdies, and I love how you made lemonade from that lemon ribbon too! Brilliant!

jimlynn said...

They really are a merry little group! So cute and pretty and love the feathers you added. Fun and cute.
Lynn

debby4000 said...

Oh what an adorable, gorgeous Christmas card.
luv
Debby

Di said...

What an adorable card Mo! Love the birdies and feathers :-)

Yes, will post the images asap and use thick cardboard for protection!

Hugs

Di
Xx

Pia S said...

This image is such a cute one! And a very versatile one too, it can take any color scheme and works for a person of any age. I like your combination of non traditional colors. Pink and yellow have grown on me as Christmas colors lately, and you've coordinated the colors so beautifully. Beautiful lace and ribbon detail, glad you remembered them:)

Veerle said...

Hello Maureen,
Such a lovely card. I like the little birdies.
Thanks for becomming my follower I joined in here with you too.
Have a nice day, lots of greetings from Veerle. x

Greta said...

Oh how inventive & creative you are! Wonderful card!

Inkypinkydelights said...

Lovely card. Thanks for your lovely comment on my Blog over the weekend. Judy x

Sarn said...

That is a TOTALLY ADORABLE image Mo. Love it to pieces. Great card.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Dawn's Stamping Garden said...

Love this card, and the little feather! Take care!

Sassy Raggedy said...

I just bought this cute image and look forward to using it soon. Very cute and adorable...Hugs, joann sassy raggedy

Hettie said...

This is fabulous Mo. I love the tweetie birds and the feathers are a great touch!
Hugs
xx

Mrs A. said...

I think those feathers just top this card off perfectly. Great use of all those snippets. Hugs Mrs A.

Dawn said...

Lol! I love your card & the tale of how you pulled it together! Great work on using up those snippets!
Thanks for celebrating Christmas In July with us at Crafting For All Seasons!
Good Luck
Hugs
Dawn xx

Sarah said...

What a darling image!! Did you know that birds do actually keep warm that way and take it in turns being in the middle!!

cotnob said...

This is a fabulous Christmas card, such a wonderful image.
Thank you for joining us at Crafting for all Seasons.
Pauline
x

Tracy said...

Aww such a sweet card and image.
I love that you used that lemon ribbon and made it work..very creative :)

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Very clever how you got that ribbon to fit right in. Those little birds look like they might catch their death of a cold! Love all the die cuts.

Anonymous said...

haha, this is soooo cute! i love the colours you chose for the birdies. i'm the one who is always behind in my commenting! i appreciate it when you have the time to visit and if you can only pop around every now and then, that's very much appreciated! i like to blog without obligation so i hope others do too. :)
linda

MaryH said...

Here's exactly what I meant in the previous comment. Your card is so interesting and I love reading about all the saves. Loved the lace strip with the cute ribbon atop it. It fit in with the shivery little birds. The feathers were such a cute addition to the whole..so see, not boring! Just interesting & so cute & adorable. WTGo. Good use of your NBUS and wins too. Hugs

Debs Willis said...

Hi Maureen. How cute are those birds! Love the way you've adapted the lemons & disguised the tree trunk :-)
Hugs
Debs xx

MagsB said...

The birds are so cute! And what a brilliant idea to turn the lemons ribbon into ornaments! Lovely!

love Mags B x

Karen Petitt said...

Please take it easy Mo - there is no rush for CCC - the ladies will understand. I do hope your knee eases for you soon though!
Love this fun Christmas card - you have coloured those birds beautifully and I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one who forgets to add ribbon and lace - and I have loads of it too! Karen x

Susan Renshaw said...

Love this image and how you have used it to make a super card!! Thanks for joining us at CHNC Extra for August!

Hazel said...

Thank you for sharing your super creation for my CHNC challenge extra for August and my Patterned Paper August challenge - hope to see you again soon x