Wednesday 20 August 2014

Floating Butterflies Round II - Card 10

Mrs A has a current theme of Summertime Butterflies. Just before we came up to the lake, I was playing with Tim Holtz stains on watercolour paper, trying to grasp the techniques of using them. I had one page that just called out Summertime to me.

Once back up here, I die cut Elenor's Memory Box trio of Floating Butterflies from the watercoloured paper and then cut it again with some black card. I then inlaid the bits that formed the trio back into the black outline. Much easier said than done. I forgot to bring a sheet of the Sook Wang double sided adhesive paper up to the lake. So I improvised, and laid rows of tape across the back of the main bits and then lined up the black outline and laid it down overtop. I did have to do a small amount of fussy cutting the excess tape off...but it was not too bad.  PSA...Nail polish remover works great at cleaning glue off scissor!


I stamped a bit of a background with my NBUS Kaisercraft Hessian stamp. I stamped it twice and reversed the stamp to get the random lines on the outside edge of each side. I used Close to My Heart grey ink and then chalked over it with aqua and yellow chalk. I was trying for the look of the sky on a sunny summer day!

The inlaid butterfly trio was placed over the stamped background and then a couple of filigree butterfly toppers were popped forward, to flutter by. I happened to have the matching Vivienne topper for the larger butterfly but the smaller one I used is called Pippi, I think). Not a match, but with the wings up in the air, I think it is not so apparent at a glance! I used generous amounts of Stardust Stickles on the filigree wings and also on the outline of the plain butterfly.


I used a NBIS sentiment from a Marks Finest Papers stamp, Island Life, that I won last year. I have been trying hard to put my winning items to use! That sentiment was stamped direct to card (while holding my breath).  A few diamond jewels placed on the butterflies finished it off!

Recipe
Card base - from my stash
Watercolour paper - from my stash
Tim Holtz Stains - from my stash... I did not think to write them down...sorry!
Stamps - Kaiser, Hessian background stamp
Dies - Memory Box Floating Butterflies and filigree toppers Vivienne and Pippi
Sentiment stamp - Marks Finest Papers, Island life

I am entering this card in the following challenges
1. The Butterfly Challenge -  # 12 Summer Butterflies
2. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets
3. Sister Act Challenge - # 70 Anything goes
4. Marks Finest Papers Inspirational Challenge - #76 Painted floors. I was inspired by all the texture in the third photo. It made me remember my grungy hessian stamp. (I used a MFP stamp for the sentiment)
5. The Artistic Stamper - August Challenge Anything Goes

36 comments:

LesleyG said...

wow I held my breath just reading it! Would never have known the smaller flutterby wasn't a match ;) xxx

Pia S said...

Wow! Double wow! This looks absolutely fantastic! You've made such a great background and I love how the colorful butterflies are framed with black edges. Nice sparkle too!

Doreen said...

Love your gorgeous card.xxx

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
oh what a very beautiful summery butterfly card.
I love all your superb details, and superb stamping and inking of this.
My those butterflies colour is amazingly beautiful.
Love also your superb stamped background.
What more can I say just love it sooooooooooo! much.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Maureen, gorgeous card, love how you've made the background and the butterflies are so beautiful, love it all, hgs Kate x

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Wow Maureen this is outstanding. Love how you did the butterflies, both the stain and the black outlines. The background is brilliant too, love everything about your card. Susan x

Carol said...

This is a beautiful vibrant card Maureen, love your background. carol x

Hettie said...

This is fandabulous Mo. I just love this card. There is not enough orange around.
Hugs
xx

Veerle said...

Maureen this card is just fabulous, love how you did the butterflies. Very pretty.
Hugs Veerle xx

McCrafty's Cards said...

I love this Mo, its stunning those butterflies are gorgeous
Kevin xx

Peanut said...

Ah-may-zing! LOVE LOVE LOVE those butterflies, Maureen.

jimlynn said...

WOW! This is stunning! Love the butterflies and the background is so different and pretty. Love this card so much!
Sorry I haven't been around lately. I've been out of town and just got back yesterday evening.
Lynn

aussie aNNie said...

Gorgeous card and loving the background and butterflies.xxThe Journey is the Start

Glenda Atkins said...

What a beautiful card. I am loving the colours and those awesome butterflies. A piece of art for sure!
hugs
Glenda

MaryH said...

Mo, this is just BEAUTIFUL! I know exactly how fiddly that die is. You did fantastic with it, and you're right on the overlays, with the wings up as you have them, no one will know that it's not an exact match..if you don't tell! Love that you did these with the watercolors, and that background is yummy. Well done, You! Have fun on your time away. Hugs & TFS - PS...that was a great way to do the project with no double side adhesive too. Bet that didn't make the inlay any easier either. Give yourself a big pat on the back for this one, girl.

wannabcre8tive said...

Your card is so beautiful Love the fancy butterfly die and the bright orange colors.
Thank you for joining us for the Speedy TV Inspiration challenge.

debby4000 said...

Beautiful butterfly card.
luv
Debby

Mrs A. said...

I love the gorgeous colour of your trio of butterflies and how I wan't them for myself.!! I just so love butterflies. Like the background effect too. Thankyou for fluttering by #12. Hugs Mrs A. (Butterfly challenge).

nwilliams6 said...

Maureen, this is so gorgeous! I think it may be my favorite card I have seen you make. I think the lake inspired you! Love, love, love that bg and the butterflies are so pretty. Lovely sparkle on this too. Amazing work. I am late commenting but I am so glad you participated in the MFPSpeedyTV Inspiration challenge! I also see that you won the challenge - congrats - you totally deserve that win! Hugz!

Pat said...

This is gorgeous Mo, and I love the MB butterflies and really lovely colours. x

Di said...

Oh Gosh Mo - you really surpassed yourself here! What a stunner of a card and all the work was so worthwhile! I totally adore the end result! Gold star here :)

Hugs, Di xx

Em Louise Fairley said...

Mo this is gorgeous!

Hugs,
Em x

Alycia said...

This is just gorgeous!! I love your butterflies, simply stunning. Thanks for joining us over at Sister Act. -Alycia

coldwaters2 said...

Oh my word Mo this is simply beautiful, love that background stamping and those butterflies are stupendous the colours are perfect, love it.
hugs
lorraine x

Sue said...

Stunning card Mo!!! its really gorgeous huggles Sue xxxx

Donna Mosley said...

Wonderful card, love gorgeous design.

Donna x

Jean said...

Gosh this is gorgeous. I love these orange and black butterflies and the great background.
Jean x

Liz said...

Beautiful card! Love those butterflies. xx

Tracy said...

Oh I love the look of this! I have the Vivienne butterfly but not the silhouette. I would have never noticed that the smaller butterfly didn't match. They look wonderful with the soft stamping. Fantastic and classy. Hugs!

Karen Petitt said...

I love and want this one! Gorgeous card, love the colours - thought you had used a mask at first to create the BG - really clever inking perfectly embellished with those stunning butterflies Karen x

cotnob said...

This is a beautiful card Mo, I love your background and gorgeous butterflies - they look fabulous framed witn black.
Pauline
x

Sue - said...

Gorgeous card and I just love your background. Well done on being a "pick" this week.

Irene said...

Hello Mo

WOW and double WOW what a fabulous and brilliant card - I just love it.
The butterflies look real and identical and I would never guessed they were not. Your background inking is fabulous and the colours gorgeous.

luv
irene
xxxx

Tracy said...

Your card is beautiful.
I love those butterflies with the black, it real makes the colours pop.

Sassy Raggedy said...

Please forgive me for being so late. I love this card. Those butterflies are fantastic. You are doing your best work ever...Hugs, joann sassy raggedy

Darnell said...

Look at all this love, Maureen! Well done on this stunning card!! I had to run over as soon as I saw it showcased at Pixie's! Congratulations! Hugs, Darnell