Tuesday 3 December 2013

Recognizing limitations

My DH will be so proud of me.  He always tells me that I need to recognize my limitations if I am sore and sometimes need to alter plans or even cancel them if they are beyond my grasp.
Many of you know how much I look forward to Black Friday shopping. It is a tradition in our house and the shopping trip itself is planned and honed with precision. We usually manage to get all the doorbusters on our list! Not by shoving and pushing. but by merging our shopping lists and each of us searching for everyone else. We meet up before going thru the till, and sort if we have extras.  Generally someone takes them anyway!

Black Friday starts on Thursday...crazy I know...but it starts as early as around 3pm Thursday. Each store has doorbuster specials at different times on Thursday, Friday and even Saturday. You have to line up to get them, so it does take planning. We usually stay at till Saturday but the friend booking the rooms had to drop out this year...and forgot to do the booking!!! My back and neck were still really sore from that fall and poor DD had a migraine, so we cancelled the room that we did manage to get for one night. We scaled our list down, and drove home to our own comfy beds. We were home just after midnite.  The hotel had a wait list for the room so they were really nice about the cancellation.

I managed to get an Ipad mini for $199.  and three sets of king size and queen size 700 thread count sheets for $24.99 each  A king sized quilt, a little mini crock pot for keeping hot dips warm when you entertain for $4.50 and two 12 x 12 double sided  page scrapbook paper pads for $5.00, door buster gifts for the kids next door and much more.   I treated myself to two Christmas stamps that were BOGO...I know I will get a lot of use from them!

DH is in Vegas celebrating his 60th with his pals from elementary school! They have stayed friends all these years. He left me money to buy any scrappy purchases that caught my eye...boy, oh boy, did things catch my eye!

DD even had me chose one of my Christmas presents...it is a hanging embellishment cupboard that matches my craft room furniture. I have wanted it for about a year but it had been discontinued. It was $109.00 in Canada when they had it and she got it for $29.00 on clearance. She needed to show me as she needed to be sure that I had a wall that it could go on...needless to say, I am a very happy crafter. She will get me other surprises as well, so I did not mind choosing it. I will post a photo after Xmas when I have it hung up and filled with stash!!! Got lot of other stuff but don't want to bore you too, too much!

Here is the last one from the series of fall themed thank you cards I was working on this week. They all use the same basic selection of papers, just the way I combined the elements differs slightly with each.
I was happy with the look of the woodland branches on my Thanksgiving card so decided to use some of those die cuts again. This time I decided to tie the branches together in a bundle. I had just the right colour of fine jute twine, so pressed that into service! Kept it fairly flat again, as this card will be posted overseas.

I am entering this card into the following challenges:

1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets.
2. Word Art Wednesday - uplifting words
3. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything goes

24 comments:

brenda said...

Still on the copy and paste I am afraid but wanted to pop in any take a peek at your latest make and say hello.

B x

jimlynn said...

WOW! You got a bunch of goodies at the Black Friday sales! Sorry you had to quit so early but sounds like you did great. You'll love that iPad mini! That's what I have.

Such a pretty fall card! I love all the colors of fall and they're all on your beautiful card. Lovely.

Lynn

May said...

Gorgeous card, Love the fall colours.. Beautiful design.... WOW...What bargains you got amazing price for the Ipad mini....enjoy...Hugs May x x x

Redanne said...

You certainly did well in the sales despite having to finish early - well done! Your fall card is a real beauty, love the rich colours you have used. Hugs, Anne x

Christine Harrop said...

Well I'm so glad that you had a successful day Maureen! Lovely card too. Hugs Christine xx

Karen Letchworth said...

What a gorgeous autumn card with such rich wonderful colors. You did an amazing job, and we are so blessed to have you share your art with us. Hope you're having a blessed week.
God bless you,
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Fabulous bargains Maureen I got my DH an I pad mini for his birthday and he loves it, although I probably paid double! Love your card these autumnal colours are so warm. Susan x

cotnob said...

Wow! It sounds like you certainly managed to find some bargains at the sales.
Your card is gorgeous, I love the woodland branches and your lovely rich colours.
Pauline
x

Hettie said...

Gorgeous card Mo. Bet you were glad to be in your own comfy bed at the end of that shopping expedition! I always prefer my bed, other than when we stayed at the Waldorf last year for my B/Day. Now that was the only comfy bed I have encountered in a hotel!
Aren't you the lucky one with your shelf! I have no wall for it!
Hugs
xx

Lin said...

My goodness, you take Black Friday seriously! I can see that it takes lots of coordination to be successful! I love your pretty autumn tones on this card - thanks so much for sharing it with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

nwilliams6 said...

Wow - you still did good on your Black Friday shopping - I am so jealous! Sounds like you are already racking up some great Christmas presents too!

Super thank you card. I like the natural look and your great colors.

Hugz!

Darnell said...

Another great snippets card, Maureen! I enjoyed reading about your shopping adventures! Especially about the cupboard that you've been wanting! Wow, for $29! It was meant to be yours!! Hugs, Darnell

Merry said...

That sounds like amazing shopping and even in a shortened time. You did so well. Love your card...the colours are terrific.

Mrs A. said...

Didn't you do well with your Black Friday stash! Miss Di and I had to cancel our Bath trip as we found out it was going to be a 14 hour long day and our backs just would not have stood up to the strain of the crowds (Hettie went and said it was absolutely heaving with people so glad we did). I like your idea of tying the twigs together on your card.
Hugs Mrs A.

Claire said...

A great card Mo, very nice colours. What a fab day you had friday, wish we had something like that here. I envy you the sheets, bliss for sleeping in.
Thanks for the comment on my blog.
Claire xxxx

Di said...

Gorgeous Autumn card Mo! Such rich colours, I love it!

Well done on your shopping haul - I think you did brilliantly! Hope the shoulders and neck are easing.

Hugs, Di xx

Pia S said...

You do these autumn cards so well, Maureen! These colors are so warm and beautiful together, and I love the addition of the tree branch!
Sounds like you had a terrific time shopping and got lots of great bargains!

Tracy said...

Great card, and some great bargains :)
I also don't know my limitations…but am really trying to find them ;)

Mary Jo said...

Very pretty card!
And sounds like you got some great deals.
I know all about limitations these days. I am really trying to cut back on the stuff that is just not necessary in the long run. :)

MaryH said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed these fall cards you have shared. Love those rich colors, and you had a different look to each design. I liked the way you combined the shapes and I love anything with the leaf stamps! Lucky you to have had such good success on the BF trip. You really got some super bargains. So good that you got to enjoy the time with your DD, that was probably the best of all of it, yes? TFS & glad you took care of yourself. Also big belated Happy Bday to your DH. He is just a youngster yet! Tell him I said so! Hugs

Lisa said...

Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the designs and the colors!! What a fabulous card!! I didn't even venture out on Black Friday...I did my shopping online :) But after reading your awesome finds, I should have!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!! Have a great evening :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Wonderful colours to make superb card, Maureen, love it, Shaz in oz.x

Shelby said...

Even though it was a shorted trip, you got some amazing deals! Love the warm colors of this card and the twin looks fantastic.

Shelby

Jenny Marples said...

Sounds like you have shopping down to a fine art! Most impressed and so glad you got your 'longed for' Christmas present. Love this card as the colours are so rich and perfect. Jenny x