Wednesday 18 December 2013

Auntie Lil's Melting Moments (Whipped Shortbread Cookies)

I promised my readers that I would post my shortbread recipes. I will leave you to decide which you like better.  If you try to bake them, I promise you will not be disappointed!  I will start with the directions for the easiest and fastest to make.

Auntie Lil's Melting Moments

Whip 2 cups Butter (I use salted butter)
Add 1 cup icing sugar and whip again
Add 1/2 cup powdered cornstarch and whip again

Add 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract...whip again
Finally add 3 cups of flour ( 1 cup at a time and whip in between each)

You whip the final result till it "breaks". The best way I can describe this is when all the ingredients are whipped in, you continue whipping till the resulting batter sort of stands in peaks when you lift the beaters up from the bowl. You will sort of notice it breaking on its own in the bowl as you are mixing it and then you are done! It is already starting to break in the photo above but I needed to beat in the vanilla...here is the finished photo...you can see that the colour is now even and the peaks are holding their own shape.

Drop by teaspoon full onto cookie sheets. See how they are still "peaked"...some people shape them but to Auntie Lil, the beauty of these was how quick and easy there were to make...I am in total agreement with her on that front!!!

I have air injected teflon pans so do not use parchment papers underneath the cookies.  Bake at 300 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. The bottoms should just be very lightly golden coloured. I have a slow oven and I live near the sea...so it takes about 16 minutes for me. If you are not sure, lift one and check if the bottom is lightly golden.

They are in the oven baking so no photo of the finished cookies. I will update this post later with some finished cookie pictures.

Mmmm...Mmmmmm...good!

6 comments:

Carol L said...

You have me drooling with this shortbread recipe now! All I can say is YUM, and I think I can smell them baking in the oven ;) TFS this recipe! I can't wait to try it!

Sandy said...

You are just full of goodies!!!
sandy

May said...

These look so yummy... Hugs May x x x

Carol said...

I love Melting Moments although I don't think our version is quite the same as yours...we roll the mixture in coconut or oats and stick a piece of cherry in the middle. Carol x

Brenda Brown said...

These sound delicious. TFS.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Merry said...

Another great post and yummy looking biscuits. Thanks.