Sunday 3 February 2013

Music to my ears!

Had a shopping trip with my husband across the border, into the United States. Walked into the Bellingham Michael's where they had 90% off the last ticketed price on clearance items...Music to my ears!

As you know, I am on a "scrap my stash" journey. I have pledged to not spend on consumables other than card stock, glue, pop dots, ink if it dried up....etc. I can spend...but not on consumables.
My exceptions are gift money which I will blow on whatever I please! And clearance if it is  80% off or better.

What a treat it was yesterday, to shop and basically pay pennies for embellishments, ribbon, stamps, and much more. I picked up several stamp sets for 29 cents that originally were up to $17.00
I found the red flower on this card...two for 29 cents. Yes I know how to make them, yes I have fabric etc...but I don't have red and I don't have a gorgeous rhinestone button like that...so into my shopping cart it went..I managed to get 2 sets!

Here is the card I made to go with it. I added some jute twine loops behind the flower. I saw the idea on Pinterest. Some of you may remember the jute shopping bags I made in the late spring/early summer. I had some of the individual petals left in with my snippets, so I added one under the blossom and one of the smallest  ones under the button. Thank goodness for snippets.

The border is for a scrapbook page so I trimmed it down in length and shaped it into 2 pieces. I still have a bit left for another card later. I wanted to tie in the natural feeling of the jute twine, so....I stamped the sentiment on kraft paper and mounted it on a Spellbinders die cut. I found that red metallic paper when I cleaned my room It is from a 6x6 stack of various metallic colours. I added a mat of silver to tie in the silver rhinestone button and balance it all again with another mat of Kraft card stock.
Here is a close up of the flower. It has sort of net material between the flocked petals. I liked the texture contrast of this flower.

Making this card made me grateful that I reorganized my room. It was easy to find things and the whole process of planning the elements of my card went together faster than usual. I am happy with the final outcome...I would give this card to a fellow card maker!

Off to start my next card ..the themed is "no design paper"...oh my!!!

Recipe
Card base - from my stash , Recollections brand Kraft corrugated cards and envelopes
Design paper - MME Santa Claus
Card Stock - from my stash, Kraft, silver metallic, red metallic
Border -  from my stash K and Co (I think)
Dies - Spellbinders,  Fleur de Lis
Flower - from Michaels 90 % off clearance sale
Burlap - from my stash, left over petals from the jute shopping bags I made.
Stamp - Recollections brand from Michaels, no name on the package

I am entering this card in the following challenges
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop  - Must use snippets. My card is full of snippets
2. Simon says Stamp - Anything goes
3. MFP - Speedy TV Christmas Card Challenge -  Must be Christmas
4. Crafty Hazelnuts Christmas Challenge Christmas Extra  - Must be Christmas, Anything Goes
5. Sparkles Christmas Challenge - Anything Goes

32 comments:

debby4000 said...

Love your gorgeous card and I'm so jealous of your shopping spree.
luv
Debby

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

well done all around Maureen so pleased you had that shopping spree what a treat!! Shaz in Oz.x

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Fab card and what wonderful bargains I am so jealous!! x

brenda said...

That sounds like some sale, we don't see the likes here in the UK. Stunning card and fabulous flower.

B x

Sarn said...

Fabulously opulent and slightly vintage Christmas card you have there Maureen!

Fab xxx

Gillian R said...

wow, what a stunning card, very impressed with your bargains too

Redanne said...

Oh how I wish I could cross the border to Michaels and get bargains like you did! That flower is gorgeous and so is your card. A x

Anonymous said...

Wow this is beautiful Mo, love that sparkly red! Gotta love Mike's, there cleanace is always excellent, JoAnns isn't bad either. You can also enter this at Sparkles Christmas Challenge where it's anything goes this month.

Hugs
Brenda

Di said...

Wow Maureen - what a stunning card! Any card maker would be blown away by this beauty. It's perfect!! Hugs, Di xx

Ustvarjalni utrinki Tamara P. said...

Stunning card, love the details on it,
Tamara

Karen Petitt said...

Maureen this is gorgeous!
Just like Anne has said - I so wish we had Michaels in the UK! We never ever get deals like that -very jealous I am.
Enjoy your new goodies Karen x

Mary Jo said...

Very, very pretty!
Scrapbook shopping is so much fun!
Especially with great deals like that.
I remember driving through Bellingham on our way to Vancouver the summer we went to my brother in laws wedding in Tacoma WA :)

MaryH said...

Ho, ho, I laughed as I read all your exceptions to your goal. Sounds like me! I recognize some of the elements on your beautiful card...never thought of cutting apart those borders. GREAT IDEA! Your shopping trip was very productive, you had fun, you made a lovely card to share...what more can one ask? I wish I were as far ahead on the organization kick as you are. Ah well, I've just learned that procrastination is a skill, so I'm gonna stick to that story. I'm polishing my skills. HUGS & TFS

Bonnie said...

What a sale! Who could resist stocking up at those prices, especially that flower! I love the jute loops behind it! Very nice!

Hazel said...

Gorgeous card - love the twin loops behind the beautiful flowers - thanks for entering my CHNC challenge extra for February – hope to see you again soon. x

scrapn_momof2 said...

Beautiful card!! Love that red flower. Sounds like your shopping trip was a success. I love finding things on clearance.

Darnell said...

Oooh, that is the testament of a dashing card, whether you would give it to a fellow cardmaker! I agree, it's fabulous! And I'm totally green with jealousy that you blew very little money and got such ENORMOUS deals. Holy carp fish, I'm happy dancing for you, Maureen!!

Mandy said...

Beautiful Christmas card Mo, I love that pretty Poinsettia and how you've added the burlap and twine.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
hugs Mandy xx

Tracy said...

Your card is beautiful.
Nothing better then getting a great deal, and yours was fantastic, wow.

Glenda Atkins said...

Gorgeous Christmas card and I love, love that flower & twine.You make some very gorgeous cards and I so enjoy my visits here!
hugs
Glenda

Michelle Webb said...

What a wonderful card, love all the embellishments and the layout. I'm your newest follower too, amazing work. Michelle x

Heather said...

A stunning card Mo, beautiful colours and papers, your details are fabulous, especially that stunning flower!!!

Thanks so much for joining Simon Says Stamp challenge
hugs
Heather xx

Peanut said...

So scrumptious! Love all the details, simply gorgeous, Maureen!
I'm getting better. Thanks for making me smile with your sweet comment.
xxx Asha
Sunny Summer Crafts

shaz earl said...

Fabulous card!

Thanks for joining in the fun with us at Sparkles Christmas

Hugs Shaz x

Pia S said...

Gorgeous!!! Elegant and Chrismas-y!

CARLA PREDIGER said...

what a beautiful effect you got on the card with this flower. Thanks for joining at Craftyhazelnut's Extra Christmas challenge this month.

Unknown said...

Beautiful card Mo and so love the flower...luv aNNie

Wishcraft said...

Lovely card, that flower is fabulous :o) Hugs, Lisa x

Lynn said...

This card is simply gorgeous. The flower was a great find, and the finishing touches behind the flower really makes it a focal point. I don't think we crafters will ever be able to deplete our snippet supplies! Lynn x

Sandra H said...

This is such a beautfiul card and the the layout is gorgeous great backing papers to match a beautiful image presented so wonderfully thank you for joining our challenge at Sparkles Christmas challenge 2nd Anniversary "Anything Goes" good luck and hope to see you again next time xx

Sally H said...

Wow! Awesome use of snippets, Maureen. A gorgeous card

Anonymous said...

this is so pretty and i love all the texture and your great bargain finds.