Sunday 15 March 2020

Christmas Card Club - Garland or Wreath

I am posting a Garland card for the current Christmas Card Club challenge. We are a group of like minded ladies who prefer to make our Christmas cards throughout the year, thereby freeing up time during the Christmas Season.

Lorraine of Raineys Craft Room blog chose our theme of Garlands or Wreaths today. There is also a choice of Anything goes, but luckily I had supplies for a Garland theme.

If you wish to look over any of the others ladies work, there are hyperlinks on my right sidebar.

My card today is a decoupage card from a British kit called Hunkydory.

It has a cozy living room image complete with a garland over the fireplace. There are five layers of decoupage on this card. I used thin pieces of foam for the raised areas as I did not want the depth to get out of hand.


I cut a card base of red teensy dotted card from the Hunkydory card. A quick look through my DP snippets box found this border sized snippet of Lily of the Valley Krafty  Christmas, which has white snowflakes on a kraft background. The red velvet rickrack ribbon is from my ribbon stash which I store on inside of my closet door in the craft room. I love this particular rickrack as it never frays, and that is certainly a rarity with ribbon!

I usually forget to add ribbon and then remember too late, when I no longer have room to work it in. I am quite proud of myself for remembering today. I must say with that closet door closed, that ribbon is out of sight and out of mind as the saying goes!

Here is a photo of my ribbon storage. I used 3M hooks on a gloss painted door, There is a set of three hooks like this on each of the panels of the door. This door holds 9 sets of hooks! I then used ribbon tags for hanging the ribbon till sadly, they DISCONTINUED the tags!!!  Oh my!!!



A quick trip to the $ store found huge packages of key rings which I slip knotted the ribbon around (by colour or theme), and then slid those rings onto cheap curtain hooks. The rest of my hooks and ribbon are inside the closet on the wall. I can not get a decent photo for you of the inside closet storage. I just can not step back far enough to get a photo!

Tags -

Key Ring -

21 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Fabulous decoupage. Puss looks really comfy on the settee. Thats a lot of lovely ribbon. I like the tartan ones. Hugs mrs A.

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A beautiful card, depicting a lovely cozy Christmas scene.
Wow, you have such a lot of ribbon, a great way to store it all though and be able to see what you have too.
Lorraine

Bunny said...

What a lovely Christmas scene. It makes me want to join the cat on the couch.

Great way to store your ribbons.
[Bunny]

cuilliesocks said...

Just so beautiful Maureen, such a wonderful cosy scene, beautifully designed.
Lovely ribbons and storage, Kate x x

Kathleen said...

A really super creation bright and beautiful image and a lovely background too. Fab idea with the ribbon, mine are just stuffed in a drawer.

Kath x

dutchess said...

A fabulous traditional image Maureen..with a beautiful fireplace surrounded by a gorgeous garland.I too am a ribbon hoarder and never remember to use it on my cards sadly ....hope you have has a good weekend xxx

Greta said...

I have those tags, too, Maureen! In fact, they were from Oregon, right? Anyway--love the beautiful, traditional scene & the red velvet rickrack is the perfect addition!

KarinsArtScrap said...

beautiful card and great idea with the ribbon.

gr karin

cotnob said...

A beautiful card Maureen, such a lovely fireside scene. A great way to store your ribbon, mine is just in a drawer, usually very tangled.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

gwen70 said...

Fabulous card, love the ribbon storage such a lot of ribbon and I bet you still haven't what you want at times xx

mamapez5 said...

What a lovely,comforting image you have used. A Beautiful card. Kate x

Marilyn said...

Beautiful card!
Have a great day!
Marilyn ❤️

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Mo, lovely card, so cheerful looking. I do like your ribbon storage,looks fab.Finally managed to catch up today. Love & hugs, Shaz X

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful decoupage design. Love all the layers. Stay healthy too.

Linda Simpson said...

Gorgeous card, love the beautiful image and loving the gorgeous ribbon you have too.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
such a lovely scene that fireplace and it looks so cosy.
Love the background card it's gorgeous.
What a very fab idea the ribbon storage is such a clever idea.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Brenda said...

Oh this is a beautiful card Maureen! When I was a kid, scene's like this drew me in each and every time. I always wanted a fireplace, never had one, but wanted one. lol Just love this card and the scene. I also love the way you are storing your ribbons. I have way to many and they are in a jar(s). I really need to start using mine as well, but like you, I tend to forget! Hugs, Brenda

Elizabeth said...

Hi Maureen, apologies for being so late. Your card is beautiful - I really like that cosy image. And your ribbons are so irganised. Hope all is well there. xx

Witchcrafted Life said...

Tremendously lovely card. It has such a serene, soothing energy that will no doubt be all the more welcome by the lucky person who receives it during the all-too-often mad rush of the holiday season.

Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

Donna said...

Such a pretty card, Maureen. Love your beautiful fireplace scene. I too forget about my ribbons. Great storage idea. I redid my ribbon storage in February when I was kind of out of it with the flu. Donated a bunch that I thought I would never use. Amazing how much ribbon I had collected. Thanks for sharing your card and your ribbon storage idea. Be safe and healthy!

Liz said...

Beautiful card Maureen, with a lovely festive image. I know what you mean about adding ribbon, I often forget to add it until it's too late. Thanks for sharing your ribbon storage system. A very clever way organising them. xx