Saturday 27 October 2018

Christmas Card Club - Winter Wonderland

Christine at Christine's Cards and Crafts blog chose Winter Wonderland as the Christmas Card Club theme this fortnight. I knew what I wanted to make right away!

My girlfriend gifted me a few old Christmas cards from the 1950's. Each one had a bit of a letter inside and were signed with the date. She knew I would love the vintage look of them and indeed I did.

My family raised horses, and we always had a huge old antique sleigh in the front garden over Christmas.This card reminded me of those past times and I do think the passengers in this horse drawn sleigh look as though they are riding through a Winter Wonderland.


I used snippets for this card. The Chatterbox blue snowflake background paper is leftover from a scrapbook page. The vintage card was shaped just like you see it,  so I fussy cut that same pattern out of the snippets of white glitter card, and then again green glitter card that you see here.

I then popped it onto an easel card base as it just seemed to call out for center stage! I like the look of it on the easel card, and I am actually quite pleased with the whole result.

The Dashing Through The Snow die is by Memory Box. I did cheat a bit and used a white pen to add back in the centers of the letters as the parts were so teensy I could not manage to glue them back in. Once I had gone over them a couple of times to get them white enough, I painted over them with Art Glitter Glue and sprinkled some white glitter over them. They then finally looked almost like I had glued the teensy bits back in!


If anyone is interested in joining our Christmas Card Club, drop me an email. You can view the other members cards by clicking on their hyperlinks on my right sideboard.

25 comments:

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Great use of that very old and sweet card, it looks delicious on your design!! Such fabulous vintage feel! Love the diecut sentiment inside, too!

dutchess said...

What a beautiful image MAUREEN...such a lovely vintage scene and a great card design to show it off.....we had snow here briefly yesterday,so it’s beginning to get seasonal.....xxxx

Jackie T said...

Hi this is a stunning Christmas card. I love it. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

What a gorgeous card Maureen and a lovely trip down memory lane for you too.

Sue xx

Carole Pollard said...

Lovely card great design and colours love and hugs Carole x

Marilyn said...

Pretty card!
Have a great day!
Marilyn❤

cuilliesocks said...

Hello Maureen, I absolutely love your traditional style card, it's a gorgeous image ad beautifully designed too. What a lovely girt to get from your friend, I'm sure you will make good use of them, Kate x

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Mo, that does look fab as an easel card, works so well. Love the vintage image, would be wonderful to see that sort of scenery today! As long as I could stay indoors and look out of the window at it, lol. Hugs, Shaz X

Mrs A. said...

Your fussy cutting is excellent! I really thought the white and the green were already part of the old Christmas card scene which is really pretty and nostalgic in design. Hugs Mrs A.

Christine Harrop said...

I love the image inside the bell Maureen. Hope things are well with you. My card won't be up until tomorrow I'm afraid because we have had a family bereavement which kind of knocked me for a six. Hugs Christine xx

Verna Angerhofer said...

Wonderful vintage scene and I love the sentiment die used on this card as well.

Christine Alexander said...

what a wonderful idea giving those old cards a new life :)

Joan said...


Lovely card Maureen, very traditional which I like. I hoard old Christmas cards with the idea I might use them but haven't up to now.


Joan

Lisa said...

It's so beautiful!! I love the vintage image!! Gorgeous card!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

MaryH said...

This is a hit, Mo! I always love these old cards from yesteryear and it looks so pretty. I especially like the way you've kept the original shape of the original card and put the mat behind it as you've done. Your snippet background looks good with the colors of the original image too. And how cool to make the design into an easel card. Well done on the recycling AND on using up some of your stash! TFS & Hugs

Chris said...

Beautiful Easel card, love the vintage image...would love to have a vintage sleigh for my garden, bet it looked amazing!
Chris
x

Sandra H said...

Ooh l love your image and the layout of your card it's stunning x

Carol L said...

This is a wonderful vintage card, and I too was fortunate enough to have taken a horse-drawn sleigh ride in the snow when I was young. Such great fun! My hubby and I once owned 2 horses and I miss having them as I've been a horse lover since I was a child. Your wonderful card brought back some great memories, so thanks :) That truly is a great wintry scene you've created!

cotnob said...

A fabulous card Maureen, such a gorgeous vintage image and great easel design.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

rachel said...

A wonderful card - it looks fabulous! Hugs rachel x

Kathleen said...

Another great image Mo and a super easel card.


Kath x

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
what a wonderful Christmas card and I love that super image of the bell with the gorgeous Christmas scene on it.
Your memories sound so wonderful and what a lovely memory that sleigh sitting outside your hoouse is.
The easel design just lends itself to that beautiful image and the dashing through the snow sentiment sets it all off perfectly.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Rainey's Craft Room said...

This certainly is a gorgeous vintage Christmas image and beautiful card for our theme this time.
Lorraine

Pia S said...

What a lovely way to use old Christmas cards and give them new life. It’s beautiful.

Greta said...

What a fun gift from your friend! I love how you used this one for your card, Maureen--beautiful!