Sunday 28 May 2017

Christmas Card Club - Mistletoe and Wine

Todays theme at Christmas Card Club is Mistletoe and Wine, chosen by our lovely Rita at RMG Creations.  After you read this post you will see that I made a Mistletoe and Whine card!

This card was a bit of a disaster in the making.
There are actually two finished images. Yes, two, on the same card.

I stamped this NBUS Penny Black Mistletoe image and coloured it with Prisma Pencil Crayons. I stamped a NBUS Hero Arts sentiment (CL722) direct to card and breathed a sigh of relief that I managed to stamp it straight!

I was then very silly and forgot to blend with the Gamsol. Instead, I chalked the background to look like sky.  I then started to blend the pencil crayoned leaves, and when I got to the very last leaf, I managed to drip two large drops of gamsol right over the top leaves of the image.

Weill, let me tell you, gamsol on chalk dries with the droplet showing as the chalk has changed composition once wet.

I then cut a second image and sentiment,  coloured it with the pencil crayons again, painted liquid pearls on the berries and then chalked the edges.Whew! No Spills.

I then flipped the image over to place the two sided Sook Wang tape on the back...AND THEN...
flipped it back over to see a new splodge of gamsol just beside the "yours". Oh No! There must have been a small droplet of gamsol on my desk.

I then tried to ink the edges with black momento ink, hoping to minimize the look of the splodge. But in doing so, I managed to over ink and I am now not so much liking this card.



I don't know why I didn't wash all the chalk with the gamsol and thereby hide the splodge. I was too afraid that the gamsol would pick up and bleed the black ink of the sentiment and muddy the area all around it., but I think I should have taken the risk.

So, instead, here is my card...with a definite shabbied up look!  I am sure you have notice the lack of wine on this card. The inside of my card has two teensy wine glasses in the right bottom corner, well under the sentiment. Sadly, my camera ran out of charge so you will have to trust me on that, Rita.
I will update this post with that photo, once my camera is charged.

Recipe
Card Base - prefolded Silver glimmer card and matching envelope, from my stash
DP - DCWV - Premium Glitter Basics Stack ( NBUS) new
Stamps - Penny Black Festive Florals Mistletoe image (NBUS)
Sentiment Stamp - Hero Arts CL722 (NBUS) new
Bling - Ivory Liquid pearls , From my stash

28 comments:

dutchess said...

It looks lovely Maureen...that's a fabulous stamp...great card xxxx

Carol L said...

In spite of all the oops moments, this card turned out fabulous after all! Well done staying with it :)

mamapez5 said...

I enjoyed reading about all your mishaps making this card, which, incidentally, I love. It makes me feel a lot better because I often have to do repair jobs along the way. I don't know what gamsol is but I probably have an alternative in my stash by a different name. It is not often you see a good mistletoe stamp and the sentiment is perfect. I'm off to look for that one if it is still available. Kate x

Barb said...

I love your card Maureen and would never have know that this wasn't how it was intended to be. Barbxx

Mrs A. said...

Well understandably there is no wine on this card as you drunk the whole bottle to drown your sorrows!! It's a great card and I love the shabby chic look to it. Hugs Mrs A.

Rainey's Craft Room said...

I think you have persevered with this fated card very well Maureen and ended with a lovely card, it might not be as you intended initially but looks amazing with the beautiful mistletoe and grungy edging - I like a bit of grunge :)
I'm running a bit late with this challenge but hope to have mine done in a day or two.
Lorraine

Preeti D. (aka Dutt Preety) said...

beautiful card :)

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

What a beautiful card! I love the image and the fun distressing of the edges. I don't notice anything with the chalk at all. TFS!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful coloring and a wonderful Christmas design.

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
isn't it a pain when things like that happen right on the end of a wonderful design.
I bet you spitting some well deserved words, but you have rescued it perfectly and this is such a wondderful card and design.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Christine Harrop said...

Hi Maureen. I had a similar problem with a card I made the other day! However, your has all turned out fine in the end. I just love that mistletoe spray. I have only just made my card so it won't be up until tomorrow I'm afraid. Hugs Christine xx

Greta said...

I've avoided buying any Gamsol & you've convinced me I made the right choice--haha! That being said, your coloring & use of it is beautiful, Maureen--glad you persevered with this card as it's unique & lovely! Too funny what Mrs. A said about the wine!

Rita said...

Maureen, you are much to critical of your work. I think the black edging enhances the card. Beautiful Mistletoe and who could blame you if you did drink the wine. Thank you for doing the challenge. Hugs Rita xxx

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

This is a beautiful card Mo. I really like the background and the colour that you've used. Crafty hugs, Sandra x

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Maureen, and I salute you for persevering! There's nothing worse when things seem to go wrong at every opportunity, but I think you've done a great job in the face of adversity! Looks gorgeous to me. Hugs, Shaz Xx

Pia S said...

Some cards are miracles they ever get finished, I feel that with some of mine too. Silly thing is I don't think people would notice what we feel are disasters, at least not in half of the cases. I wouldn't have spotted the smudge. I don't think you've over inked.

cotnob said...

I think your card looks fabulous Maureen, I love the distressed look - I would never have thought that you had any problems if you hadn't said anything!
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Cara said...

Oh goodness me, what a stress! This looks great with the shabby chic look x

Valerija said...

Stunning card. Love the image and colours.
Valerija xx

Kathleen said...

A super card, love the image and a great sentiment.

Kath x

rachel said...

I love the shabby look you created Maureen! Brilliant job - well done you! Hugs rachel x

Carol said...

What a lovely stamp Maureen...some days crafting is sent to try us but you got there in the end. I lacked wine too! Carol x

Bonnie said...

I have ruined a card more than once with something left on my work table! I feel your pain! But I think you performed a wonderful save! You deserve a glass of wine!

cuilliesocks said...

Aww Maureen, I'm chuckling at your post, but you persevered, many of us would have chucked in the bin, so well done you, but I get your frustration when these things happen, and then the camera to run out of charge, nevertheless what a fabulos card, I think the black around the edge give it depth, and the mistletoe image is lovely, I love it, Kate x

AlisonC said...

Hehe, I really like it and the shabby look. I hope you've recovered from making it. I like the framing and the soft colours. It's very pretty.

Gibmiss said...

Fabby card...
Hugs Sylvie xx

Granmargaret said...

I agree, it is a lovely card.

Craftychris said...

I love the shabby look and would never have guessed it wasn't meant to be if you hadn't had said! I am so sorry I didn't manage to join in with Rudolph Days this time, I will be back next month for sure! xxx