Zoe at Stampin' Scene blog chose the theme of reindeer for this fortnight.
As soon as I read this theme, I knew I wanted to make a die cut card...with deer feeding under some birch trees. I have wanted to try this with my own dies, ever since 'I made a similar card at Langley Stampers. That one used Stampin' Up dies and the deer was quite large.
I wanted to use small deer so that I could make my card the standard "North American" card size.
This is the size that I generally receive from my friends in Canada or the U.S.
I started with a snippet of white laser photocopy paper. It has a bit of a sheen to it. I ran that through my Stampin Up Falling Snow EF, and then placed a Memory Box Tall birch tree die cut in the middle of the card front. There was not enough room to add one more on each side, so I pruned two more tree die cuts, and removed some side branches so they would fit!
I pop dotted those trees forward with some super slim pop dots, and was careful not to place any pop dots on the bottom portion of the tree trunks. This then gave me room to add a Lawn Fawn snowy hill, cut from white glitter paper., and pop dotted with the same super slim dots.
The trunks of the trees slid sort of flatly under this hill. This helps with the final depth of the card (for postage rates) as I still had more popped forward layers to add.
The second hill was popped forward as well and then I added the three deer from my Memory Box Deer Trio die. I cut these deer off the die cut as they come standing on a flat ground, which looked weird with my hills. I placed my trio randomly on the hills, instead.
A few Impression Obsession cardinals finished off the trees and added a pop of colour!
At this point I was happy with the dies on the card front, but thought everything looked a bit dull. Used my white Nuvo Aqua Shimmer pen to add some glittery shimmer to the trees and to the deer. I went over the deer once again, with some Nuvo glitter drops just to make them look a wee bit different in shimmer from the trees!
You might be able to see the shimmer a bit better, here...
It was hard to photograph and show the sheen and shimmers. If you enlarge my photo, you may be able to see it better. IRL, everything is more distinctive than it appears in the photo. Each diecut is a slightly different shade of white, so it does not look as nondescript as this photo. Promise!!!
Finally done, I added the card front to a standard size, handmade white card. For the last few months, I have been using the white 110 pound cardstock from Michaels to make my cards. I love the weight of this paper and it is so much cheaper than the Bazzill heavy weight I used to buy by the individual sheet. Best of all I can use a 40% off coupon at Michaels!