Saturday 11 June 2016

Christmas Card Club - Star of Wonder

This fortnight was Zoe's turn to chose the theme for our Christmas Card Club. She chose Star of Wonder. I think this is such a great theme. To see the other submissions from my fellow CCC members, you can click on any of their names on my right sidebar. If you are interested in joining a fun club with a lovely group of ladies, let me know.

Today's card started off as a rusty orange prefolded square card that was not too bad of a weight.  As soon as I spied the rich colour, I decided to make another glittered hill Nativity Card.  I really was not happy with the one I created on this post here and decided to try to improve on that design..

I really liked the idea of musical note DP last time, and luckily had a snippet of an orangy coloured 12x12 DP left over from a scrapbook page. It was almost large enough to make the background mat for this card.. I managed to cover up the shortfall by placing one  American Crafts Marquee Glittered Love diecut hill over the bottom of it. I cut a second hill out of kraft and promptly used it to shadow the glittered hill.

Stamped the image onto white Copic paper and used Stampin' Up chalks to create the sky and the sand dunes.  Using the base card colour to inspire me, I used Twinkling H2O's to colour the village and the large palm tree . I used the stardust stickles on the stars but used a fine tipped steel to place the stickles dots. No blobby bits this time!



I  used many different colours of ink to stamp this image and then huffed on the stamp before laying it on the paper. I used Black for the Wise Men and North star, beige for the teensy stars, and brown for the hills and village. I even coloured the tree trunk brown and the leaves in green. Have not used the huff technique for many years so it took a couple tries to get it right.

Matted the image and sentiment with kraft. added a blingy star and called it done. I like this one so much more than the  one I created the other day.

This was such a hard photo to take. The glare off the glittered card was so strong...it seems to make the three wise men look so pale. IRL they show as black ink...not faded looking like they show here!

Recipe
Prefolded 5 1/2 inch orange card and envelope
DP - from my 12x12 scrapbooking snippets box
Glitter paper - Heidi /swap American crafts Marquee Love gold glitter paper
Card stock - snippets of kraft card
Stamp Sentiment - Hobby Arts Wise Men
Stamp image-  Stampendous Travelling Far
Ink - Ingrid Bolme chalk ink
Colouring - H2O's and Stampin' Up chalks


I am adding this card to the following challenges:
1. Christmas Card Club - Star of Wonder
2. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets.

26 comments:

rachel said...

A beautiful card mo...love it xx

Christine Harrop said...

Gorgeous card Maureen. Love the stamped image. The colours tie it together so well. Hope things are okay with you. HUgs uChristine xx

Kath said...

A lovely card - beautiful image and design.
Kath x

brenda said...

A very pretty card and colours Mo.

Have a lovely Sunday.

B x

Rita said...

Beautiful Card Maureen. Love scenes like this. Hugs Rita xxx

Di said...

What a lovely card Mo! That's a really lovely stamp you used too - I did giggle about all the huffing :)

Hugs

Di xx

Brenda said...

Oh my this is a beautiful card Maureen! I love the colors you used and I love, love, love that glittery paper. Your scene you created is simply beautiful and what Christmas is all about. I your coloring too. Hugs, Brenda

cotnob said...

A fabulous card Mo, brilliant stamping and a wonderful design.
Pauline
x

Cara said...

A beautiful card showing the true meaning of Christmas, glad it's not just me that struggles with the photos! Cara x

dutchess said...

Love it MAUREEN such a classic image and wonderful colours and glitter!...just in from our christening sorry to be late commenting xxxx

Kathleen said...

Saw this first thing this morning, when I was still half asleep and panicked like mad, thought it was RD, looked at the date and breathed a sigh of relief.
Gorgeous card, lovely image and great colours.

Kath x

cuilliesocks said...

Wonderful card Mo, fabulous colours and image, just perfect for the challenge, Kate x

MaryH said...

Since I think several of us went with Blue & White colors, what a treat to see your 'desert colors'. You've used this scene so well to create your landscape card. Enjoyed reading about the creativity involved in the process. Lots of soft hues, sparkle and the H2O coloring is something I can never master. You did it great. Love the sparkle of your 'sand dune' too, good job Mo! TFS & Hugs

Greta said...

Absolutely gorgeous card, Maureen--just love it!

Mrs A. said...

This really is lovely. The unusual colour combination goes do well with the scene you have created. Lots of patience and huff needed here but the result is soooooo good to look at. Nice to seeing back in the club. Hugs Mrs A.

Zoe Tant said...

This is fab Maureen. Love the sparkle to really make the design 'pop' and focus on the star of wonder. Zx

Sue said...

Lovely card Mo love the colours you have used lots of huggles Sue xx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A beautiful scene, love the colours too.
Lorraine

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

I have a hard time photographing glitter and shine too. This is so pretty! I love the softness of the colors you used. It is really non-traditional and traditional at the same time! TFS!

Valerija said...

Amazing Christmas card. Love it!
Valerija xx

Liz said...

Beautiful card, Maureen. Such a lovely design. xx

Gibmiss said...

Hi Maureen
Love your fabulous card....
Hugs Sylvie xx

Craftychris said...

Really gorgeous card! Lovely colours and fabulous glittery hill, love it! xxx

Peanut said...

Fabulous design, Maureen!
x Asha

I'm a Little Teapot said...

Thank you very much for stopping by my blog and leaving the kind comments! So happy you did as I was able to visit your happy spot in the blogosphere. :)

I am your newest follower too! Hugs!!

Carol said...

This is beautiful Maureen. Lovely to see you back in the fold too. Carol x
PS Sorry I'm so late commenting!