Wednesday, 2 April 2014
Making the best of it!
I was reading the brand new blog of an online Two Peas friend, Craft Nerd Creates. Her post was about making a mistake on a card element and soldiering on, changing up the design, and getting the card completed.
As I was reading her post, I felt myself nodding my head. I was thinking about an image I had stamped and coloured, only to manage to go outside the lines on the last strokes...with RED copic ink. Yes...Red!!! No amount of blender pen work would budge it back into place.
I was fairly upset and determined not to give in, so I fussy cut the image, carefully cutting off the offending stamped ribbon bow and tails, leaving 3/4 of the image intact. I then filed it in my coloured images photo album and forgot about it. I have pulled it out a few times but it always seemed too small to sit alone and looked forlorn on a card.
Got it out today and suddenly thought it might work if it sat on an ornament die! Once I had that issue sorted, the rest of the card just seemed to fall into place. Right beside the photo albums of my coloured images, are more photo albums of diecuts. Green albums for Xmas themes and black for everyday.
Rolling dies through my Big Shot can leave my hands aching for days so I often get DH, or the girls, or grandkids to roll a few dies through for me. Now that I have the magnetic platform, it is easy to load it chock full of dies before they roll it through. I then file them in the albums for those days when my hands are too sore to roll thing through myself.
All the dies on this page were from those albums...so once I chose an ornament diecut from there, it was only a matter of flipping through and pulling out what other dies would go with it.
Just as I finished the card, I decided that I needed to place that circular journal spot behind the ornament. As I carefully prised the ornament forward to tuck it in, I managed to mar the image with a bent mark. Arrrgh! I decided to try a thick coat of stickles over the whole image, hoping it would hide the bent mark. Thank goodness it worked. Added just a hint of stickles here and there over the flourish leaf die cuts and finally it was another card done and dusted!
Well....after the inside was finished up, of course!
Card and base from my stash
Card stock - snippets of light and dark aqua card
Patterned paper - Pink Paislee Hope Chest journal tags
Dies - Memory Box Ornament die; corner dies are Spellbinders I think...I have mislaid the brand new label before I got it added in my book; Impression Obsession word tag; Cheery Lynn Fanciful Flourishes
Stamp - PSX Xmas Heart Wreath
3D stickers - K&Co bird (the last of these yellowy ones)
Wood embellishment - Basic Grey 25th & Pine wooden stars
Sentiment - inside sentiment is an old Christmas card; outside Noel is a Marah Johnson Impress On
I am entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets
2. Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra - must be Christmas but Anything Goes
3. Two Peas Moodboard April Challenge
4. MFP Inspirational Challenge - #56 I chose the first image. The blue and white inspired the colours used and the twine legs and arms made me remember the twig wreath languishing in my drawer.
5. Sparkles Christmas Challenges - Inspired by a Song (mine is Deck the Halls)