Sunday 29 September 2013

Holly Jolly Christmas

This is another of the cards I have made to give to kiddies at Christmas. This has certainly been a great way to use up my VOS...especially stash from the dollar store! Some of the elements would make a cardmaker shudder, but a kid would think they were heavenly!
The little square with the cardinal in reverse relief is the last of one huge sheet of 3D chipboard stickers. Can't believe I have managed to use up that whole sheet this year! The red tag with the green brad is from another package of dollar store items...I still have what seems like a zillion of these! They will get used on scrapbook pages and the cards my grandkids like to create.
 Here is a closeup of the bit of sparkle on the tag.
The gorgeous red flourish was sent to me in a RAK from Sandra at Stamping for Pleasure. Pop on over there if you have time. She is currently running her September Rudolph day challenge. It is a great way to get your Christmas cards done and dusted before the busy Christmas season. I added a couple of snowflakes to the flourish...layered two colours for the bottom one and did a little haircut on the green layer! The center gem is a slim one from the dollar store that I am trying out to see if they will make it through the slot at the post office. In this case, I think the brad and the Holly Jolly chipboard are going to fail the slot...but that is OK, as this card will be hand delivered to a good friends little boy!

I managed to use some snippets of paper so will be dropping by Di's playground at Pixies Crafty Workshop. Her challenge is a great way to encourage you to use some snippets from your never ending pile. My kraft snowflake paper and the scrap of wood grain DP, as well as the kraft card stock,  were all from my snippets. Feels good to make something from those scraps!

No recipe tonight as I am a wee bit overtired...had a busy, busy week and have to get up early as DH is driving our eldest daughter (Glamour Girl) to the airport. She is off for 10 weeks in Monaco again:(

I will try to write out the recipe tomorrow. Ten more days of hectic life and then I will settle into our winter routines. I always seem to get more crafting done in the late Fall and winter! I am squeezing in a trip to visit my Mum and my sister, before the icy roads make travelling to the Okanagan difficult. I so do not enjoy winter driving on the Coquihalla Hwy (nicknamed the Highway to Hell)  There is actually a TV show called that, about the tow truck drivers and the rescues they do, on that highway. It is a 4 to 5 hours drive so I will stay there a few days.

I have been keeping up my errand walking on Wednesdays and Thursdays...when I head up to Mum's, I plan to walk into town for her errands. That way, I can still keep to my walking plan. It is a bit further to the shops in her village but that will be good for me. There are 2 benches along the route, so I will just sit for a minute along the way.

I am entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets
2. CHNC Extra - must be Christmas


25 comments:

brenda said...

As always stunning work Maureen, thank you for sharing.

B x

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Fab card Maureen I really admire you using your scraps - but what pretty scraps they are! I love Monaco been there several times, so glamorous!! Susan x

sue w. said...

Hi Maureen, this is gorgeous. Love the papers and colours and the flourish is wonderful. Fabulous.
Love your card stand too, where do you get them?
Hugs Sue W.

Vicky Hayes said...

There's lots of lovely detail on your card! You are clever to put it together in this way.

Hazel said...

Love the vibrant colours, Maureen. Delightful card for my CHNC challenge extra for September - hope to see you again soon. x

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
this is a fab card. I love your design and the colours used in the gem of a card.
Good luck in the challenges.
Have a wonderful crafty day.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

McCrafty's Cards said...

Beautiful card Mo, I like the image the design and the embellishments.
Kevin xx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card :)
Love all the layers and the fabulous elements you have added-so luxurious,and such perfect Christmas colours.
Have a lovely day,Nessa xx

Sandy said...

What a merry Merry Christmas card! Between your wonderful card and sentiment, I am just a singing away!
sandy

Mary Jo said...

Yay for errand walking!
I am not doing so well with it here :)

Such a pretty card!
And I love the stand you used to display it.

jimlynn said...

I'll leave the Highway to Hell to y'all (LOL) - but LOVE this gorgeous Christmas card! So beautiful and so many wonderful details!
Lynn

Tracy said...

Your card is so sweet and I love the traditional colours.
I have those dollar store chipboard embellishments as well :)

kay said...

It's fabulous x

Sarn said...

This is just gorgeous Mo. Love everything about it.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Carol said...

A beautiful Christmas creation Maureen. Thanks for joining us at CHNC Extra this month. Carol GD x

Anonymous said...

There's nothing kiddie about this beauty Mo, it's lovely and very well put together. Great colour combo, it really is a stunner.

Hugs
Brenda

Pia S said...

All the elements are put together so beautifully and the result is a lovely card with a traditional Christmas feel. Well done, Maureen!

Carol L said...

This is quite the lovely card with that tag and red flourish! Beautifully created!

Jules said...

Hi Maureen

It sounds like you are doing really well with your Christmas makes .. .. and using up your snippet stash at the same time!! Win, win!!!

Love the beautiful traditional colours on this one very much.

Hope you managed a good sleep last night and have woken up refreshed.

Love Jules xx

Di said...

Fabulous Mo!! I love every single piece of this card - beautifully made.

Hugs, Di xx

G Peplow said...

Wonderful Christmas card, I love traditional colours and well done for using up the stash :D I loved your expression 'would make a cardmaker shudder' !! I have been known to do that LOL Gay x

cotnob said...

This is a fabulous card, I love your layout and gorgeous red flourish.
You certainly were close to me when you visited Highclere, only about 8 miles away.
Pauline
x

Mrs A. said...

I must just be a big kid then cos I love the look of this card! Hugs Mrs A.

Victoria said...

I'm a big fan of traditional Christmas colours. The swirl is a great accent.

Glenda Atkins said...

Love the deep colours and the traditional look of this most wonderful card! Hope your daughter has a wonderful trip (lucky her) and hope all your walks are enjoyable!
hugs
Glenda