Sunday 5 July 2020

Snippets and a NBUS (at least I hope it is NBUS)!!!

 I have had this post all typed up since before my neck got tight and sore. Still not sitting much in my craft room, but got the photos loaded so I could release this snippets card today.

 Do you ever feel like you are drowning in snippets?  I sure do and so armed with my snippets boxes, I sat myself down to somehow use up a bunch of them.

First up, I did not have any pieces of heavy weight card stock to make larger cards, so I settled with making some random 4 to 5 inch square cards from some pieces of pale aqua Bazzil 110 lb card.

The embossed background is also a snippet that I inked up with some purple Momento chalk ink. I store embossed snippets, along with already cut full card backings in the same drawer, filed by theme.. That way I remember to use the smaller pieces. 

I used an unknown snippet of chevron DP for the border. Wish I had matted it with the aqua card as it kind of blends in too much.

That left me with the choice of smaller card fronts! I remembered a series of wee owls made with a Stampin' Up punch, that I have had for at least a couple of years now. I know I have used the blue DP owls before, but I do not remember ever using any of the other colours. Pretty darn sure the rest are NBUS. These owls are from my camping days up at the lake. I did not have room up there to bring a million tools. Just enough room for a slicer, big shot, and a very limited selection of dies.  I would always try to have pre-made embellies on hand. These punched out owls are left over from those camping days.
There are also  leafy branches in brown and in green with these sets...I think they are in one of the unopened matchboxes of owls.



I remembered that I also had leftovers of an older Stampin Up kit (maybe they count as snippets too) and decided to incorporate those as well. Finally, I used some snippets of card to cut a larger circle for the background mat. I carefully displayed them here to show you the full panels, but there are many half used sheets and I chose from those ones first. Parts of this kit are NBUS too.


I chose the Hello sentiment as I wanted the cards to be fairly generic. I think it is a Spellbinders die . Just something nice to send during these isolated times, or perhaps use for a Rudolph Prize envelope. I had these already cut out as well (from the lake camping trip stash)...


This card was perfect for snippets batch baking.  
I am only showing you one card today, but I have cut and laid out 6 more, just have to assemble them today. As you can see from the photo below, I have laid out some with butterflies as well.
Now, to just sit and assemble!



I am entering this card in the following challenges:

1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets.
2. Darnell's NBUS Challenge - must use NBUS

25 comments:

Kathleen said...

A really lovely card, great image and Embossing folder, great use of the circles for the image. You have been busy and a great idea to prep and then complete.

Kath x

Chris said...

Beautiful design with the colourful owl as a focal point on that lovely embossed background, great way to use up some of those snippets. Different papers and colours would completely alter the look so it is a card that could be used for many occasions.
xx

Jules said...

Hi Mo

Definitely drowning in snippets here - but am trying hard to cull them!

Love your finished card and especially those cute owls. Just perfect for using up snippets.

Hope your neck is now much improved.

Love Jules xx

Greta said...

Good for you, Maureen! Darling way to use up all those snippets!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Love seeing your organization and all the owls you made from scraps, they are really adorable :)
It's great when we can use ours snippets, isn't it?
Hugs

cotnob said...

A super card Margaret, I love your owl.
You look very organised, I tend to store my paper snippets with the collections that they come from and cardstock snippets by colour.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Wow, you've been busy using up all of those snippets Maureen. So organised with them too. I have about 4 boxes of snippets of various sizes and also boxes of printed snippets too. I just need to get the two together somewhen. I love what you've made with yours.

Sue xx

Sandra H said...

It’s amazing how we can accumulate to much from off cuts /snippets of card but just look at what you have achieved your so creative and l just love your card xx

Marilyn said...

Cute card!
Have a great day!
Marilyn ❤️

Di said...

Wonderful card Mo - and how lovely to see you in the Playground! You're certainly organised with all your toppers waiting to be assembled onto cards. I love this owl - tell me if I'm wrong, isn't it actually a Stampin' Up punch rather than a die? Whatever - it's a lovely result!

Hugs

Di xx

Bonnie said...

A fun way to reduce snippets, Maureen! Love the owls!

Darnell said...

You certainly had your Designer Hat on when you went through your stash and pulled from this and that to make this awesome little owl card! Everything fits so nicely and it's a darling card using lots of snippets! Well done using those owls and pulling out the 3D butterflies to use, too. I hoarded mine in a drawer just like that for years cuz they are so gorgeous, but they aren't spreading their wings of cheer by being stuck in a drawer! Keep well and thank you for sharing with everyone via NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
yes you are right I have a mound of Snippets too as most of us have.
I keep saying I am going to use them up but never seem to get around to it.
Love your wonderful creation and that owl is gorgeous.
I am very fond of owls and have them dotted all over my house.
Lots of crafty love and hugs. Jenny L.

Linda Simpson said...

These are beautiful.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Verna Angerhofer said...

Great cards and snippets.

Donna said...

Maybe I could send my snippets to you to use. But it would cost me a fortune in postage. Great idea. That was one of my goals this year. I do believe I have that owl punch. You've inspired me to get him out and see what I can use up. Stay safe Maureen. Thanks!

cuilliesocks said...

They are so beautiful Maureen, and such a great way to use up your snippets, Kate x

Brenda said...

I have this owl punch too and forget to use it! I think I have that same kit from SU as well and haven't used it at all, but put in my box of things that need used. lol Good idea to have embellishments made ahead of time. I so need to just do this when I don't feel like making cards. Loving how cute your owls are and those butterflies are beautiful. Your card is so cute! Hugs, Brenda

Karenladd said...

I love using my snippets, and rarely even cut into a whole sheet of paper except to make card bases. Those little punched owls are just adorable and how fun to have a little stash of them ready to pop onto cards!

Rainey's Craft Room said...

What a great way to use up all those snippets Maureen. I must organise myself and get a production line going to reduce my snippets pile too.
Lorraine

lichazul said...

Pretty cards , congrats 👏💐😊
Hugs from Chile

Susan Renshaw said...

Great card! Love all the owl organisation!
Having recently moved to Australia I am amazed how my snippets folders are filling so quickly...

Sue - said...

What a great way to use up snippets.

Susan Renshaw said...

I was pretty sure I commented on this the other say - but cannot see my comment...

Anway lovely card and great use of snippets - what a lot of owls...

Liz said...

Such a cute card, Maureen. I have a little box full of premade owls using this punch, which a made a couple of years ago. Thanks for the inspiration to use them. xx