Sunday 2 February 2020

Christmas Card Club with a theme of Stars

I am finally back to making cards with the Christmas Card Club. We are a group of like minded ladies who make a Christmas card every two weeks and take turns chosing the theme. I have all the members blog links  listed in my right sidebar so feel free to drop by them and check out the other takes on our biweekly theme.

 When I read that Sylvie at Gibmiss blog chose stars as our theme, I had just the card front come to mind. I had picked up a packet of the Three Wise Men following the North Star cards at our local thrift shop. They were new and still in the original box. I really liked the image, so picked them up to use as card fronts.

I added a wee bit of Stickles Stardust to the North Star and a Wink of Stella to the Wise Men.

I then cut a Spellbinders S6-139 frame from Gold Mirri card to showcase the image and a background diecut of antique gold silk paper to slide behind it. Luckily that Spellbinders set provides the die for all the layers. I trimmed off the tabs on the gold mirri frame and set it all on a piece of patterned mirri accented card.


I wanted to combine the look of rustic with elegant, so added a piece of navy blue twine wrapped around the card twice and tied in a bow. A gem from my ages old collection accents the bow.

My second card is another upcycled unused card. I am addicted to the packets of new cards at my local charity/thrift shop! They are usualy only a dollar for ten or twelve matching cards and envelopes.


This one has the topper made from a wee shepherd who is about to follow the North Star. As we all know, it will lead him to the Nativity. I used a snippet of gold mirri washi tape to highlight the North Star and then used the same punch to cut some wee stars thru my gold swirl Mirri card.  I slid a snippet of the purple sateen card behind them. I like the way it tied together the idea of other stars in the sky.


The gold swirl Mirri card and the purple sateen  were new purchases from the Christmas Open House at my local paper crafts shop. I usually save new papers and other purchases up before I use them, and I am trying to break that bad habit in this new year! Not taking any chances new things will get forgotten...


Hope you enjoyed my take on the Star theme.

31 comments:

gwen70 said...

Beautiful cards, adore the secind one such a lovely image xx

Christine Harrop said...

It's lovely to have you back with us Maureen. You have made some fabulous cards - a "come back" in great style ... lol! Christine xxx

Rita said...

Beautiful Cards Maureen. Nice to see you back among us again. Hugs Rita xxx

Gibmiss said...

Hi Margaret
Two stunning cards... love the gold...fabulous
Hugs Sylvie x

Granmargaret said...

Lovely cards

dutchess said...

Two beautiful cards Maureen...I love the frame in gold on the first card absolutely stunning....lovely to see you back with us fit and well....xxxx

cotnob said...

Beautiful cards Maureen, fabulous scenes and I love the die cut frame you have used on the first one.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Chris said...

Two beautiful creations here, you've made some stunning cards by upcycling your thrift shop bargains, they're both gorgeous!
xx

Donna said...

Absolutely gorgeous Maureen. Just the right glitz for your star theme.

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Mo, happy to see you! Love the panels you've chosen for your cards, they are quite beautiful. The card packs are a real bargain. Hugs, Shaz X

Marilyn said...

Beautiful cards!
Have a great day!
Marilyn❤

Vicky Hayes said...

What a lovely idea to upcycle these cards Maureen! Your mirror card frames are perfect for highlighting these scenes. I totally agree about using the things we buy! Vicky x

cuilliesocks said...

Hello Maureen and welcome back to the Club, and with some beautiful cards too. Love traditional scenes and super recycling, Kate x x

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
what brilliant makes and their designs look very stunning and gorgeous.
Love all the added gold and it's very luxurious looking. What a fab idea to cut out the stars on the one and back them with prple.
Such great scenes no wonder you used them.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Zoe Tant said...

Wow great to have you back. Hope life is good. Love the cards. Zoe x

Linda Simpson said...

Two beautiful card, I love the images and designs.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Verna Angerhofer said...

Two wonderful Christmas designs. I need to get back to making more Christmas cards too. Your work is inspiring to me.

Elizabeth said...

Lovely cards, Maureen. And u so agree with your aim to use new stuff as soon as possible - so much better than stashing and forgetting. Hugs, xx

PS: the Christmas card I sent you was returned to sender so I must have the wrong address for you. xx

Mrs A. said...

Two lovely recycled images which now both look a million dollars on your cards. Hugs Mrs A.

Jackie T said...

Hi your Christmas cards are gorgeous. I love them both. Take care. Hugs Jackie

rachel said...

Gorgeous cards Mo - this is really lovely! Hugs rachel x

Kathleen said...

Two really super cards, great images and love the frame in the first card and both have fabulous images and super stars.

Kath x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Two lovely cards, great upcycling!

Christine Alexander said...

Two beautiful cards Mo, Love the shimmery frames so perfect for your images :)

Bonnie said...

Not one but two gorgeous Christmas cards, Maureen! You have given these repurposed cards a beautiful new life! I especially love how you did the shepherd with the added stars! Brilliant!

Sandra H said...

Wow so nice to see your lovely cards and your back doing challenges love the layouts and that star 🌟 is stunning x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

I do love a bit of recycling Maureen and I love these two cards that you made.

Sue xx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

These are a super pair of cards for our challenge using those lovely images.
Lorraine

Carol L said...

These are just stunning cards with that gorgeous gold mirri card! I love the swirls and how beautifully the gold frames those classic Christmas scenes! Beautiful!

Greta said...

Good for you using your purchases, Maureen! Both cards are beautiful, but the first one is totally amazing with that incredible Spellbinders die! Now it's a card to be treasured!

Whisper said...

Oooo I'm loving your take on 'Star cards', 2 gorgeous images and designs, Luv Sam x