Thursday 14 February 2019

Update on my knee


It seems hard to believe it has only been a month since my last post! So much has happened.

You may remember I was to have my knee replaced Jan 21st. We did so much preparation for the recovery at home. We moved clothes, toiletries, groceries etc to our  ground level basement suite as it has the least stairs in our house. You walk up only two stairs from the garage and then everything is ground level. There is a walk in shower, as well as my craft room just across the hallway on our side of the dividing wall.

The morning of the surgery I got a phone call that the doctor was not able to operate on the person ahead of me and could we drive straight to hospital. Upon arrival at the surgery ward, I showed the nurse that I had a miniscule cut on my foot from a rough edge to the antiseptic sponge I used that morning. I had no problems with the two scrubs the night before and the day before that, but just my luck to get this teensy, sort of paper cut looking cut on my foot. I think it was the last swipe of the sponge that caused it! I also mentioned that my skin was a bit raw on my groin from the strength of the antiseptic.

They brushed it aside and I got the same response when I went up to the operating room. They gave me something to make me relax and just after that the anesthetist arrived. After a few questions, he happened to notice my foot and after examining it with a light, he asked when I sustained the "wound" on my foot! He was already shaking his head and mentioning that it would be up to the surgeon and then asked if I had any other areas of exposed skin. As I showed him the raw area on my groin, I pretty much knew what was about to happen...

My surgeon arrived and after a quick look at both areas and an even quicker consult, he advised that they could not operate on me with  exposed skin above and below my affected knee and would be sending me home!!!

Al had already driven home and was so shocked to get the call to come and pick me up. All in all, I was there about 4 hours!

So, I am now rebooked for March 29th and have been given a prescription for a weaker strength of solution to bathe with beforehand.  I think I will have to cease making cards about ten days before that surgery as they stressed that I can not have any "wounds" on my hands either (I always seem to get teensy paper cuts when I work with paper).

I believe this is all because I contracted MRSA in that same hospital two years ago when I was in for ten days for another matter.  They are uber conscious of the risk of MRSA with me again and are being very cautious!

We were both so down about the cancellation as I am in quite a bit of pain now and my knee is very stiff. It is hard to get up and down from the couch or a chair. We were looking forward to getting this surgery so I could recover, finished physio etc and we could move back into having fun again and planning holidays.

So, to that end, we have booked a last minute special for a 10 day  cruise to Mexico and leave this weekend.  I will still have the February Rudolph Days Challenge running as of Feb 25th, but will not be able to comment on your entries till my return on March 1st!

Sorry that I did not advise all of this sooner but frankly, this knocked us for a loop. We have both been quite down about the cancellation...my husband even more than me. He does so much to help me and hates to see me in pain. We had a hard time adjusting to it all and I just did not feel like talking about it much. Now that we have processed it all, we can accept it.

31 comments:

Greta said...

Oh my goodness--what a disappointment for both of you, Maureen. So sorry, but also glad they didn't proceed & have you end up with an infection! Enjoy your holiday! Hugs, Greta

Christine Alexander said...

so sorry to hear your surgery got cancelled. Better to be safe :)
Christine

Kath said...

I'm sorry to hear your surgery was cancelled, but enjoy your cruise!
Kath x

Sandra H said...

Ooh l am so sorry to read this you get yourself ready and to be told it's not going to happen it can be so heartbreaking hopefully all will be okay for March but in the meantime enjoy your holiday Maureen and take care sending lots of love x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

So sorry to read this Maureen, hope you both have a wonderful cruise.

Sue xx

cuilliesocks said...

Oh my Maureen, what a let down for you as one psyches themselves up for surgery, especially such major operations. However, I'm sure it's for the best, better safe than sorry. Take care and have a lovely holiday, I'm sure it will give you both a boost, hugs Kate x x

Chris said...

What a huge disappointment to have the surgery cancelled at the very last minute! All the waiting and gearing yourself up for nothing! It is better to be safer though, you certainly don't want to risk MRSA again.
Enjoy your holiday, hope the knee isn't too painful.
xx

Sandy said...

Mo, so sorry to hear of the dealy and that you're still in pain, but I think the docs were right to put safety first. Hope you are able to enjoy the cruise.

Jane Willis said...

Such a disappointment for you both but I'm sure it was the best decision, nobody wants to risk you picking up another infection and hospitals can't help but be full of sick people carrying germs! Have a lovely holiday. Hope you come back feeling rested and well so you'll be ready for the next attempt at the op.

Sue - said...

What a shame Maureen, but better to be safe than sorry. I can understand how down you were about it but I’m sure your cruise will cheer you up. We’ve got the cruising bug since doing one last year and have got three booked for this year.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

So sorry for the news... Hope that now things will go in the right direction for your health.. Better don't have risks and be patient

cotnob said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your operation was cancelled Maureen, you must have been so disappointed - probably better to be safe than sorry though.
Enjoy your break.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Jackie T said...

I am so sorry that your surgery had to be cancelled Maureen. That must be so upsetting and frustrating for you. I hope that you enjoy your cruise and get the chance to relax. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Kathleen said...

How awful for you and you Hubby, after waiting all this time to have it cancelled once again but it was better to be safe than sorry, but they could have made the decision earlier. At least you will be able to have a really lovely holiday during the wait.

Kath x

Liz said...

What a disappointment that your operation was cancelled and so frustrating for you both. Enjoy your holiday, hope you have a relaxing time. xx

Loll said...

It is disappointing that your surgery was cancelled, but the risk was not worth it. It's amazing that you've been rescheduled for end of March. That's pretty good for BC. In the meantime, have a wonderful cruise. Let your hubby to continue to look after you. I hope you have some meds that will make it a little more comfortable for you on your cruise. Take care Mo!! Sending healthy vibes your way. xx

Lynne said...

So sorry to hear of your disappointment and to get as far as you did must have been terrible. Have a lovely holiday x

Carol L said...

Awww gees Mo, that must have been shocking to be prepared for major surgery and then be turned away. However; I'm glad the doctors are being extra cautious with MRSA because that's nothing to fool around with. On the other hand, I do hope you are able to enjoy a fun getaway with the pain you're dealing with. Take care!!

Donna said...

Maureen, so sorry to hear that you went through all that without getting some relief for your knee. I know that MRSA is nothing to mess with though. My husband got that about 10 years ago and we went through a lot to get it to go away. Hope you enjoy your holiday and then be ready for the next adventure. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Brenda said...

What a huge disappointment Maureen! I am so sorry you are delayed with your knee surgery, but I guess better safe than sorry. Feb. is a short month and hopefully will fly by for you and you will be ready to go in March. No worries about commenting, you just keep yourself well and "cut" free so you can get this painful knee replaced!! Your health comes first Maureen, so you take care of you and we all will be here when you can come back to card making and such. Enjoy that getaway too! Big hugs to you!!! Brenda

Whisper said...

OMG you poor thing and you have done exactly what I do, book a holiday, hopefully it will cheer you up and get you aware from the cold of Canada, Luv Sam x

Kris said...

Maureen, I'm so sorry to read about your surgery cancellation. Hope the cruise is peaceful for you both.

AlisonC said...

I'm so sorry to hear all this, it's very frustrating and you were all keyed up and ready for it. At least you have another date booked. Do enjoy your holiday and be sure and relax. x

Verna Angerhofer said...

That is a really disappointing thing I am sure and I can see why it made you so upset and frustrated. I think it would have been the same for me if in those shoes. I hope you have a great time on your time away though and maybe the change in climate might help the pain as well. But having MRSA is no fun thing....and in the long run I guess it was the right decision. Better not to take any chances with getting that.

Marianne said...

Oh dear, that must have been so disappointing and frustrating for you both that surgery was cancelled, although it's a good thing they are taking the risk of infection very seriously. Hope your cruise will help you relax and take your mind off the pain.
Marianne x

Di said...

Oh gosh Mo!The main thing now is for you and Al to enjoy your cruise. Have a lovely time and just take good care - from my current situation I know how hard it is on our partners. I should be there to join in though!

Hugs

Di xx

Elizabeth said...

What a disappointment for you, Maureen. Enjoy your cruise, have a great time and come back well rested and fit for the operation. Elizabeth xx

Darnell said...

Well, goodness, that's a fine kettle of fish, Mo! Still, as I'm sure everyone ahead of me has said, better to be safe than sorry, especially since you have suffered in the past. I hope you enjoy your cruise to distract you from the disappointment and the pain! Good sense to not do anything with or to your hands and feet for a couple of weeks prior to the new date. Hope hubby can write the checks and pay bills for you, cuz that's when I always get paper cuts! Huge hugs, Darnell

Eemeli said...

Oh my goodness, I do believe the amount of frustration you must have been feeling that day. But infections are definitely too big deal just to be ignored.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Hugs,
Eemeli

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Oh dear Mo sorry I didn’t see this earlier, been busy away etc so behind in blogging in fact but fir Di I’d have firgotten Rudolph day.
Praying no issues next time around... curious isn’t it how things pan out, but it is for a reason and better than getying an infection.
Sending loving hugs and much prayer too, Shaz.x

KT Fit Kitty said...

So disappointing and discouraging after all the preparations (physical and mental). I'm glad they have given you a new date and I pray that everything works out then. In the meantime, enjoy the relaxing cruise and have fun!