Sunday 16 September 2018

Christmas Card Club - Anything Goes Option

This fortnights theme  was chosen by Zoe for our Christmas Card Club   I chose to make the Anything Goes Option.

If you wish to peek at the other girls cards, hyperlinks are on my right sideboard. You will not be disappointed!

 I made up a decoupage kit card that I picked up on clearance after Christmas. I had great fun up at Cultus Lake putting the layers together and giggling as I weighted every little part down with pebbles so the wind did not blow away the wee pieces.

Once the main part of the scene was assembled, it was then popped behind the folded card base pocket and then addition layers were added that overhung the framed scene.

I did not like the sort of shiny surface of the paper in the kit so I went over the layered image with a Nuovo clear glimmer pen. I then applied a thin layer of Art Glitter glue glue randomly over the snow and ice on the scene and liberally over the framed bricks. While that was still wet, I sprinkled opalescent  holographic glitter over it and carefully lifted the page to shake off the excess. A big gust of wind carried away all my precious left over glitter and made the cement floor of the open walled eating house glimmer!


And here is the inside...


All in all, this was a fun card to make. It came in a set of 4 different designs with the layered images for the scenes presented in a punch out fashion.

 The folded frame style is lovely and the the tent style card stays upright.  But...

For the first time ever, I would not recommend purchasing this kit to use as is.  I did not like the flimsy paper that made up the scene layers and I also did not like the sheen of it.

I think if I make up the other three images into cards, I would photocopy them first onto a mat type card stock and then fussy cut them out. This would solve the sheen problem, and also solve the feeling that the layered paper is too thin and would crease easily just from pressing it in place. I would only purchase these kits it if you were prepared to photocopy and fussy cut all of the scene layers. This will not make me too popular with the manufacturer, but I think it is only fair to warn crafters, as this was what I consider an expensive kit. Thank goodness I bought it on clearance!

23 comments:

Rainey's Craft Room said...

What a gorgeous card. I love the 3D dimension in the decoupage and vintage style.
Lorraine

brenda said...

I went into panic mode there Mo, saw your name and a Christmas card on by reading list and though it was Rudolph time. Loving the soft sepia colours, has a lovely vintage feel.

B x

dutchess said...

Despite your reservations Maureen you have managed to make a really lovely dimensional card....that’s the trouble with kits you never can tell...and the compensation is you got it on clearance.....xxxx

Christine Harrop said...

I love the sepia effect on your card Maureen, with just that very subtle colouring of the people. Gorgeous card but I know what you mean about how thin that shiny paper is for decoupage. I used to hate it. Good tip to copy it onto mat card. Hope you are well. Christine x

Jackie T said...

Hi this is a gorgeous Christmas card. Have a great week. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

This might have caused you a few problems Maureen but I love the vintage feel that it gives. It's a shame that the paper feel flimsy.

Sue xx

cotnob said...

A beautiful Christmas card Maureen, such a lovely scene. A shame that the papers were not very good quality, it sounds you had fun putting everything together though!
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Sandra H said...

Aww wow Mo this is stunning l love the decoupaged and the scene is gorgeous love this lots xx

Carol L said...

WOW!! What a wonderful scene you've created here!! It's just gorgeous, and even though you had a fiddly time with it, it all came together beautifully! Amazing :)

cuilliesocks said...

It's beautiful Mo, I love the mono shades and the lovely design, even although you had a time of it putting it together, well worth it, Kate x

Verna Angerhofer said...

Regardless of the disappointment in the card kit I see you managed to salvage it and make a beautiful card. And, I can just imagine how beautiful it looks with the glimmer and shine on it.

Gibmiss said...

Hi Mo
Stunning card....
Hugs Sylvie xx

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
oh my word that is such a gorgeous vintage style card and that scene looks so brilliant.
Love all the wonderful decoupage too.
Good luck with the photocopying next time and I can't wait to see how it turns out.
That glitter sounds aamazing pity the camera never does things like that justice.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Brenda said...

It might not be a kit you would recommend Maureen, but it sure made a beautiful card! I love how you addressed some of you issues and I love the glitter you added. It is a stunning old fashion scene and I am totally in love with this card! Hugs, Brenda

Chris said...

It might have been a bit of a pain to assemble this, but well worth it in the end! It looks beautiful , love all the dimension and the sepia tones
Chris
x

Kathleen said...

Really gorgeous card Mo, a super scene (would be perfect for this weeks Allsorts challenge) a lovely traditional Christmas card.

Kath x

Karenladd said...

Your finished card is just beautiful but I too wish card manufacturers wouldn't use thin, flimsy paper for elements that layer for dimension. I have sometimes glued the thin paper to card stock, and then fussy cut in order to give it more body. My inkjet printer gave up the ghosts 5 years ago and I haven't replaced it, so don't have the easy option of color copying on matte card. Thanks for the honest review and warning to watch out for the downfall of thinner decoupage papers.

Mrs A. said...

Finished card looks fab. Glad you persevered with it . The one colour shading gives a lovely old fashioned feel to it. Hugs Mrs A.

MaryH said...

It's a lovely vintage image, and I like the sepia shades - you did a great job assembling this to create such a pretty card with lots of dimension. Good idea to copy onto sturdier paper, tho, if you felt the paper was too thin to work easy with. TFS & Hugs. Hope you are resting up from your travels.

rachel said...

amazing layering - what a fabulous make! Hugs Rachel x

Carole Pollard said...

Great card what a lovely colour and design Love and hugs Carole x

Gloria said...

Hello Mo! So beautiful scene you created. Love them.
Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Gloria

Greta said...

Well, you certainly made it into a gorgeous card! I believe in being honest. Good for you letting anyone going to buy the kit know what to expect.