Tuesday 2 September 2014

Pixies and Poppies Round II - Card 18

Quite some time ago, I was very, very lucky and won this Spellbinders Poppy die at Pixies Crafty Workshop. This a very fun challenge run by the bubbly Di . The antics of the other guests who drop by each week, to play in the workshop and the adjoining playground, will keep you amused. If you decide to check them out, just make a card incorporating some scraps, or snippets, as the British crafters call them!

I am trying hard to break my mad habit of hoarding new things. This die is my NBUS item for this post. It feels good to finally take it out of the package and put it to use.  As I was creating this for a sympathy card, I just lightly chalked the edges with a bit of pinky/brick coloured chalk, and then added a light touch of green chalk at the bottom, on the wee hilly bit.

I tucked that hilly bit behind a premade ivory oval frame that came with a scrapbook kit. I bought that kit about ten years ago!. This is my VOS item for this card. I did have to cut off part of the hilly side edges to get it to fit into the frame...hope you will forgive me Di!   lol
I hand cut a small snippet of black card into an oval mat. slightly smaller than the frame and tucked it underneath.
I pulled the poppies through the frame and let them overhang the inner edges. To add to the frame look, I pop dotted a few of the blossoms forward.

Pop Dotted the frame onto a soft pearelscent pink, Memory Box Debutant frame. I did not have any black DP with me but I did have a box of prefolded notecards 4 1/4 x 5 1/2. I cut the front off one of the notecards and glued the MB Debutante frame onto it. All of that was then glued onto a silver 5x7 prefolded glitter card.
At this point the card looked top heavy and I decided that I did not want to add a sentiment to the area I had left empty at the bottom.  So, I wacked some of the length off the glittered card and will make a custom sized envelope with my punch board.

Thanks to you,  Di,  for providing the die that inspired this Sympathy card. What fun I have found at the playground. I feel I have made such a lovely friend across the ocean, and so enjoyed meeting up with you last summer!

I am entering this card in the following challenges
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets
2. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes

Some of you asked me just what is an RV.  It is a recreational vehicle...in our case a 5th wheel trailer. We do not drive and tow it about. Instead it is parked here in the Shuswap area of BC where we spend our vacations..
The guest bunkie I showed you all two days ago,  is the green vinyl sided building. The gazebo where I colour my images, is the tent structure. It has net curtain panels to keep out the wasps in Augus/.September and full heavy curtains if it rains and we still want to sit outside anyway and play cards or gamies.   Doesn't look all that inviting as we had already put the chair cushions away in the shed!  You can just see the edge of the RV to the right of the photo...

Here is a shot of the RV. We have neighbours behind and on the gazebo side. We are an end lot so have a dead end road to the right of the photo. There are fields on the other side of that road.


As you can see we have a few trees...thank goodness as it is nice to have the shade from them when it gets into the mid 30's.  One is particulaily messy and the leaves drop and stain the concrete. We mutter about it when we are bleaching the concrete each spring, but it has a valuable use to us as  our  insurance states the boat must be chained when not in a marina.

The lake is about a 5 minute walk from here. There is a dock and a nice beach with a great firepit area. I was too busy to walk over there for a photo though...too busy packing my summer stuff to take back home.

Just so you understand why I craft in the bunkie, here are some shots to show how space is a premium in an RV. These cupboards in the living room hold the linens, quilt and pillows for the hide-a-bed, as well as winterweight blankets for all the beds.


The couch and the table are situated in a bumpout or "slide out" as they are called here.  The area behind the beam slides out on motors to create extra room. We slide them back in for the winters

You can just see the edge of the dead end road through my roadside windows. There are some static caravans on that road (or Park Model trailers as we call them here). Some of the ladies that quilt, and the ones that make cards and also scrapbook, live steps away on that road.   The fields are just behind those Park Models and we have seen many deer in those fields this year!


See those dining chairs...they have a unique feature...lol

There is another slide across from the couch that you could see in the outdoor photo. It holds our       
media area. You can just see the upper cabinets of it beyond the coffee pot. The stovetop comes with a cover to help create extra prep space...same with the covers over the double sink!                                                     

The front closet is only 4 inches or so deep...it just holds 4 lightweight jackets or hoodies and then it is full! The fridge/freeezer  is the door with the black trim. I t is in an odd spot but really that is the only room for it!  The door at the top of the two stairs is to our bedroom and bathroom.


You can just see the bottom of the bedroom TV in that upper cabinet. I send DH up here if he wants to watch the golf or sports!  lol

Here is the shower...literally two steps from the bed! Space is a premioum!  There are two more windows in here...on each side of the head of the bed. They give a much needed cross breeze when it is hot. We  have a ceiling fan and ceiling vent here and another in the living room. We do have air conditioning, but try not to use it as we both hate the feel of the blasts of frreezing air. We try to just use the fans and those ceiling vent fans!  Once it gets into the high thirties though, the air has to go on!

 There is a bank of mirrored closet door across the back wall but I am not showing that as I look a fright from packing up to return home...and you will get my reflection!

Well, that's it for the tour. Now you all know what an RV looks like.  Blink and you would miss it! lol

36 comments:

Sharon said...

The poppy die is gorgeous and I love the beautiful card you have created with it.
The RV looks fabulous.
Enjoy the rest of your week.
Hugs Sharon. x

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
fab snippets card yet again.
Love you unique design for that fab die.
Oh my word what a fab looking RV.
Love your super pictures.
Thank you for taking the time to show us.
I use to live in a static caravan 7 years ago, at Yalding in Kent.
The place that got flooded over Christmas quite bad, and was in the the British new a lot.
So glad we moved now.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

aussie aNNie said...

Gorgeous card and thanks for the tour of your lovely home...very neat and tidy lol.xxLove this image and your card and colours plus design are super gorgeous.xx
♥aNNie
The Journey is the Start

Mary Jo said...

What a lovely vacation spot!
And space may be small, but it's a nice space :)

Great card, too!
I am at a point where I am getting ready to freeze my scrap spending and use my stash!

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Hi Maureen love your card, I think I have that die used once so not quite NBUS! Your RV looks wonderful and it must by idyllic to go away in the summer knowing you will have wonderful weather and you have such a wonderful place to relax! Susan x

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Mo, thank you so much for informing what a RV is, and for sharing these photos of your summer home. The RV is fnatastic, and your area for crafting is great, outside but still shaded from the elements.

Now your card is beautiful, I love this die and your created a super card with it, love your design too, hugs Kate x

jimlynn said...

First of all....I love your card! The purple and black together make such an elegant beauty. Love the poppy die and the way you have it coming out of the frame work. So lovely.

Your RV! I could probably live in that all year long. It's so nice that you don't have to haul it anywhere and can come and go as you wish. It looks like such a beautiful spot too with all the shade. It's a beauty inside and looks so comfortable! I know you enjoy your time there.

Lynn

Doreen said...

This is just gorgeous,love the fab design.xxx

Di said...

First of all Mo - I adore what you've done with that poppy die! Such a clever idea to frame it (even though you trimmed its toe nails a bit - grin).

And the tour of your RV was fascinating - it all looks so well organised with lots of clever ideas for making the most of your space.

You're so lucky to be able to almost depend on what the weather will (mostly!) be like. And I did love your explanation of the snowbirds flying South in your previous post Mo.

Thanks so much for sharing and explaining - very different to what we're used to here.

Hugs, Di xx

Carol said...

A very pretty card Maureen. Great photos of your RV...what a great spot you have it parked in. Carol x

cotnob said...

A stunning card Mo, such an elegant design.
Your RV looks fabulous, such a lovely place to spend your vacations and the setting looks wonderful as well.
Pauline
x

Erika said...

Love your RV Mo. Ours are so much smaller over here.
Great poppy card. Love that wee die and how you've framed it.
Hugs Erika. x

Jean said...

Your card is lovely, I love the way you used the poppy die and the colour combo looks great.
Thank you for sharing the photos of your summer home from home, it looks wonderful.
Jean x

coldwaters2 said...

Mo this post is WOW, love the beautiful card and what amazing photos of your garden and RV, it looks awesome.
hugs
lorraine x

Kathleen said...

Gorgeous card, flowers look great against the black background.
Love the RV and its situation.

Kath x

Veerle said...

I really love your card Maureen.
The poppies die is very beautiful.
And your holliday spot looks great.It all looks very cosy and compfy. Thanks for sharing these pictures, very nice to see. We have a caravan with which we go on holliday to the south of France and we love camping in our caravan. It all looks very very nice Maureen. Have a nice day, hugs Veerle xx

cheiron said...

Wonderful flower card! And I love the tour of your RV. Thank you so much for playing along in the Anything Goes Challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog this week :)

Darnell said...

What a grand tour of your summer home, Maureen! I really loved seeing it and appreciate that you took the time to take photos and share with us! It looks like a really lovely setup. You have to be neat, efficient, and organized to live in a small space. And it looks like we could eat off that concrete and brick area!!

Your card with your sweet poppy die is really pretty!! Hugs, Darnell

Liz said...

Very pretty card. I love how you've framed the flowers.

Thanks for the tour around the RV. :-) xx

Em Louise Fairley said...

Gorgeous card and great pix :)

Hugs,
Em x
Creative Em

Sassy Raggedy said...

Love the tour of the RV. I have always wanted to have one but too late now. Now I forgot what I was going to say about your card. lol I do love the poppy die I remember that much...Lol Hugs, joann sassy raggedy

Lynsey said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your card, your new die looks very elegant!
Hugs Lynsey x

Hettie said...

Gorgeous card there Mo.
But flippin 'eck that is one huuuge RV. It is bigger and has more space than some modern houses in the UK!! No chance of a row in there I guess! Not without everyone hearing you! LOL!
Hugs
xx

Tracy said...

Your card is stunning. I love the soft shades with the pop of black. That poppy die is beautiful.
thanks for showing your RV, or trailer as well call them.
You have a lovely area that you stay at.
Our trailer or RV is (26.5 feet, but no pop outs) what we call our guest cottage, or my craft space if I have a large project and everyone is in the lake house and wants to eat at the dining table, lol.
Your RV is lovely and so comfy.
I can understand you being happy to be back at home…I am kind of getting there myself as I feel I need to hibernate soon, lol.

aussie aNNie said...

Maureen your comment has touched the heart strings my friend...do you really light the candles at Mass for dad, I am honoured to have a friend like you. I always light several candles in memory of mum and pray for dad. The priest could not believe dad survived the 7th Last Rights....He has strong faith and we have so much love he is not ready to leave us...though when he was ill he just kept calling in his frail voice for mum
Thanks for being a great friend.xxx

Pia S said...

What a beautiful all occasion card! The flowers sit beautifully within that oval frame and I like the added sparkle from the glitter paper.
Your RV seems to have plenty of room, you've been clever on how to furnish it and use the space available.

Carol L said...

I've really enjoyed your RV tour! It brings back the memories of our old slide-in camper we traveled in when the kids were little! Those were the fun days:) Love that gorgeous card too! The colors are just dreamy!!

MaryH said...

Well done on using your fab win to make this gorgeous card. (Check out Darnell's - she's got another NBUS going on). Your card is so pretty and that's a great die to win - you did Pixie proud! So enjoyed seeing your RV. It's really got quite a lot of organized space in such a small area. It's fantastic you are able to leave it set up and not have to tow it all the time. My cousins changed from a 5th wheel like this to a driveable RV, then tow their car behind it. Your space looks similar to theirs. There's nooks & crannies to hide a lot of goodies. Lucky you to have the fantastic gazebo to do your crafting. On the Sihouette, you'd have been even more proud of me, if you'd seen how hard I had to struggle to make that measly printing! I'm a sloooow learner, but I'll get there - maybe! Hugs & TFS your lovely home away from home with us.

Sue said...

Fab card Maureen and great photo's of your RV..my brother has one and I love the way the 'middle' comes out for extra room..he drives his around with a car on the back when they use it on holidays...lots of huggles Sue xxx

MagsB said...

Your Sympathy card is so elegant, how pretty the die is! And thanks for the 'tour', too, it looks like a very peaceful place!

love Mags B x

Greta said...

What great use of your prize--lovely card! Looks like you're in a great spot for the summer--we'd love to have a place on a lake. It's been a great camping season for us this year--not sure if we'll ever take off for months at a time, although years ago that was our plan.

Unknown said...

Your card is lovely. I really like what you did with the die. And your RV is great.

Unknown said...

Really Gorgrous card! Love the die and bold layout!
And your RV is fab!!
Lucy x

Glenda Atkins said...

I want that poppy die and I think your RV is awesome, looks roomy enough for me:O)! Fab post Maureen!
hugs
Glenda

wannabcre8tive said...

Your card is beautiful. I love the pink and black combo.

Your RV is very nice and you have it parked in a beautiful place.

Sarn said...

Beautiful card Mo and thanks for the RV tour. Looks GREAT. xxx