Saturday 7 June 2014

Upcycling - Card 25

Picked up packet of pretty note cards a while back. I think they were from the Michael's clearance bins as they were only 25 cents for 6. Soon as I saw them, I wanted to fussy cut the birdcage and frame!

I got two cards from that packet of 6...I decoupaged 3 layers and like how it turned out. I used a pearl flourish over the strip of jute ribbon and decided I need to use them more often. I am always sure I will tangle them up as I lay them down and sure enough I did. I finally got it untangled and placed. lol
If you have any hints for easy placement of pearl flourishes, let me know. I have several of these flourishes and want to start using them.

I added a couple of pearlescent brown corner dies and a strip of matching paper on the left side and called it a day! For some reason, the brown strip on the left side is not showing clearly in the photo...the light is sort of bouncing off of  it. It is there though and IRL the brown sides so look more balanced than they apper in this photo! I promise!
Here is another photo that shows the layers of the birdcage...

Recipe:
Card base and envelope - from my stash
DP - unknown snippet from my 12x12 scrapbook paper stash
Card Stock - snippets of brown pearlescent and also green textured card from my stash
Bling - pearl flourish from my stash
Ribbon - jute ribbon from my stash
Dies - Spellbinders corner flourish
Image - fussy cut from some note cards (from my stash)



****************This is card #25 of 50. I have been on a consumables spending freeze until I made 50 cards (Sook Wang tape and heavy weight card stock exempt).***************



I am entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge - must cover card with paper
2. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets


21 comments:

coldwaters2 said...

This is gorgeous Mo, love how you have decoupaged that image also the wonderful design it looks lovely and rustic.
hugs
lorraine x

Carol L said...

What a wonderful re-use of a bargain set of cards! The pearl flourish and those decorative corners look smashing!!

Sue said...

I love this Mo!! I have a few pearl flourishes languishing in my stash somewhere that I haven't used will have to get them out now lol lots of huggles Sue xxxxxxxxxxx

jimlynn said...

Beautiful card! Love that pearl flourish on the side. VERY pretty!
Lynn

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Gorgeous card, love the romantic feel it has.

Maarit

Pia S said...

The layered image is gorgeous and the beautiful die cut corners and swirl of pearls give this card such an elegant look. This is a lovely card, Maureen, and it can be used for almost any kind of occasion too!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Maureen, super card - I like the contrast in textures between the jute and the pearls. Clever use of the bargain notecards too. Elizabeth xx

Unknown said...

Gorgeous card, love the bling flourish, it's just a beautiful work of art...luv aNNIe

candy here http://annieforeva.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/my-big-550-candy.html#comment-form

Di said...

Beautiful card Mo - lots of lovely textures and a great vintage look.

Aha, the dreaded pearl flourishes - I avoid them 'cos I always struggle too. What I have done in the past is to snip the amount of flourish I want, leaving it still on the clear acetate backing and then position it over the card still on the backing. Then, very gently peel off from one end to the other, adhering as I go - that way the whole shebang isn't free to get tangled. If that makes sense?

Hugs, Di xx

Sarn said...

Oh that is really pretty Mo. Love it.

xxxx

Planetsusie said...

This is gorgeous Maureen, I love all of it, especially the layout. Great bit of bling as well!!!

Hugs to you Sue Pxxx

PS I just knew you would be a Wink of Stella fan as well!! LOL.

Sassy Raggedy said...

Wow this is a stunning card. I love how you cut out the bird cage and used it. Wish we had a Michaels here. Beautiful card Mo....Hugs, joann

Darnell said...

You are doing so great on your challenge, Maureen! It's very inspiring, as is this stunning snippets make! Just gorgeous!!

I had to laugh about the flourish of pearls. I'd love to know about laying them down, too. I have some of these, but I always thought the flourish presentation was just a fancy way for the pearl companies to present their product! I used them individually, meaning EACH PEARL! I would take my craft knife and painstakingly cut them away from the strip and use them on my cards!

I can't remember the first time I saw them on a card (like you have done here) made by a friend in the UK and the light bulb went off!

Don't choke!! Hugs, Darnell

cotnob said...

This is a gorgeous card Maureen, I love your upcycled image and beautiful pearl flourish -fabulous die cut corners.
Pauline
x

Hettie said...

Gorgeous card there Mo. You always get the bargains don't you?
I am with Di on how to stop tangling the flourishes!
Hugs
xx

Redanne said...

Your card is absolutely beautiful, I love the background you created and the bird cage is wonderful. The pearls are very elegant! Anne xx

Debs Willis said...

This is gorgeous, and I know exactly what you mean about those pesky pearls!
thinkI may have to buy that spellbinders corner.........sigh
Debs xx

Jean said...

A lovely card, I love the brown colour scheme and pretty image.
Jean x

Lynne said...

Beautiful card Mo, love the decoupaged birdcage.
I avoid pearl flourishes like the plague. I`ve used them twice and made such a mess I decided not to waste anymore money. I would love to know how to lay them neatly.
Lynne xxx

Tracy said...

Your card is beautiful
Great way to create with those cards.
I like the brown on brown tones.
As for the pearl flourishes, I have some, but never use them because they are too pretty. How weird am I, lol.

Hazel said...

Great upcycling. Thank you so much for sharing your delightful crafting for my Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge for June - hope to see you again soon. x