Sunday 18 February 2018

Christmas Card Club - Reindeer or Deer

Zoe at  Stampin' Scene blog chose the theme of reindeer for this fortnight.

As soon as I read this theme, I knew I wanted to make a die cut card...with deer feeding under some birch trees.  I have wanted to try this with my own dies, ever since 'I made a similar card at Langley Stampers. That one used Stampin' Up dies and the deer was quite large.

I wanted to use small deer so that I could make my card the standard "North American" card size.
This is the size that I generally receive from my friends in Canada or the U.S.

I started with a snippet of white laser photocopy paper. It has a bit of a sheen to it. I ran that through my Stampin Up Falling Snow EF, and then placed a Memory Box Tall birch tree die cut  in the middle of the card front. There was not enough room to add one more on each side, so I pruned two more tree die cuts, and removed some side branches so they would fit!

I pop dotted those trees forward with some super slim pop dots, and was careful not to place any pop dots on the bottom portion of the tree trunks. This then gave me room to add a Lawn Fawn snowy hill, cut from white glitter paper., and pop dotted with the same super slim dots.

The trunks of the trees slid sort of flatly under this hill. This helps with the final depth of the card  (for postage rates) as I still had more popped forward layers to add.

The second hill was  popped forward as well and then I added the three deer from my Memory Box Deer Trio die. I cut these deer off the die cut as they come standing on a flat ground, which looked weird with my hills. I placed my trio randomly on the hills, instead.

A few Impression Obsession cardinals finished off the trees and added a pop of colour!


At this point I was happy with the dies on the card front, but thought everything looked a bit dull. Used my white Nuvo Aqua Shimmer pen to add some  glittery shimmer to the trees and to the deer. I went over the deer once again,  with some Nuvo glitter drops just to make them look a wee bit different in shimmer from the trees!

You might be able to see the shimmer a bit better, here...


It was hard to photograph and show the sheen and shimmers. If you enlarge my photo, you may be able to see it better. IRL, everything is more distinctive than it appears in the photo. Each diecut is a slightly different shade of white, so it does not look as nondescript as this photo. Promise!!!

Finally done, I added the card front to a standard size, handmade white card. For the last few months, I have been using the white 110 pound cardstock from Michaels  to make my cards. I love the weight of this paper and it is so much cheaper than the Bazzill heavy weight I used to buy by the individual sheet. Best of all I can use a 40% off coupon at Michaels!


33 comments:

LesleyG said...

Love your snowy scene with the family of deer, lots of layers and can just see the sparkle, and the photo does show the depths of layers, nice job! Xxx

dutchess said...

Beautiful Maureen...loving all your die cuts and your snowy background...the red pop of the cardinals are just the perfect finishing touches....enjoy the rest of the weekend xxxx

Valerija said...

Stunning design, beautiful dies and colours, love your card.
Valerija xx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

This is a gorgeous white on white card design with those beautiful red cardinals providing such a lovely pop of colour and interest. I just love this.
Lorraine

Gibmiss said...

Hi
Fabulous card... Love the gorgeous shimmer....
Hugs Sylvie xx

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Mo, that is lovely. The white on white, with the Red Cardinals really pop out at you. I totally agree about shimmer- almost impossible to get clear photos- Mine always seem to confuse the lens and they go blurry! Hugs, Shaz XxX

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

What a pretty snow scene! The trees look so delicate. I think it is the paper you used. Lovely arrangement and all the glitter was just right!

Donna said...

Very elegant! Love the silhouettes and that pop of color. Beautiful card!

Barbara Godden said...

This is AWESOME, my favourite scene to make. All those dies are so versatile, I just got the cardinals last year. I haven't managed to get the white heavy weight from Michaels they seem out of it every time I get there (which isn't often)

Zoe Tant said...

This is fab Maureen. Love the shimmer which is subtle but very effective and the white on white works really well with your design and adding the pop of red is perfect. Hugs Zoe x

Jackie T said...

Hi this is a gorgeous card I love the scene you have created. Take care. Hugs Jackie

jimlynn said...

WOW!!!! This is stunning!! I love everything about it. So pretty with all that white and just the touch of red. Gorgeous!
Lynn

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

The gorgeous shimmer on this card makes it feel very frosty and cold Maureen and I love the red of the cardinal birds on the branches. A fantastic card.

Sue xx

Verna Angerhofer said...

So lovely and love the pop of red with the birds you added to the scene.

Carol said...

Great use of your dies Maureen, this looks fab. Love all the shimmer and sparkle you added. Carol x

rachel said...

Awesome card Maureen - this is fabulous - love the sheen and that pop of colour from the cardinals! Big hugs rachel x

Mrs A. said...

The resizing with your different dies has worked perfectly. The card has lovely proportions and the different white are showing up on my screen too. Hugs Mrs A.

Liz said...

A gorgeous white on white card, Maureen, love the pop of red. Just beautiful. xx

MaryH said...

It's one of your best cards (perhaps I'm prejudiced due to the pop of color on the wonderfully bright birds!) You've done some great pruning with the trees, and the perfect E/F for the snow. The hills look soft and snowy for the deer trio to dance over, and the shimmer shows just so gleaming as real snow would do when the sun hits it! Good JOB on this one, Miss Mo. I love it! TFS & Hugs

cotnob said...

A beautiful card Maureen, I love your WOW design with the little pops of red - so pretty.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely gorgeous Maureen, beautifully designed. You've created a wonderful winter scene with the dies and the splash of red with the Cardinal birds is such a fabulous touch, Kate x x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Beautiful white on white card, and the red cardinal pop out so well! Love the shimmer and glitter touch!

Tracy said...

Such a beautiful card and I love the shimmer and the pop of red that the cardinals bring.
I use Staples brand 110 lb cardstock for my cards :)

Kathleen said...

Gorgeous card, love the touch of red agains all the lovely white elements.

Kath x

Barb said...

It's absolutely beautiful Maureen and I love your attention to detail. Barbxx

Christine Harrop said...

This is beautiful and I can see and love the glimmer. A gorgeous card. Hugs Christine xx

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
what a gorgeous card and such a gorgeous scene you have created.
I love the wonderful sheen on this it's brillant.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Sandra H said...

So pretty Mo l am liking the Reindeers too! x

Mandy said...

Gorgeous card Mo! I love the scene you've created, it's so elegant and pretty xx

Cara said...

Wow, this is stunning. Love the pop of red from the cardinals x

Tracy said...

You have created the ultimate snowy scene. Great texture and the shimmer is lovely. :-)

Greta said...

I got onto the Michaels cardstock a few years ago & always use a coupon so it's a great deal! I really love this card, Maureen--a stunner!

Linby said...

I just love this and it's a card I want to make myself. I got the cardinal die at great expense as it looks so fab against the white, even though we don't get them in the UK, I have managed to make a robin from it too.