Monday 5 December 2016

Making Do

My knuckle is finally healed enough to start making cards again! I must add that they are simple cards with pre coloured images or cards made just from DP.  Although I can make a simple card, I am still having trouble placing my hand into a drawer of supplies, or pulling one item out of a pile of others as anything pressing against my knuckle is  still really painful.

My husband had a good chuckle as one of the things I struggle with at the moment is pull my debit or credit card out of my wallet! The pressure needed to pull it free is hellish on that index finger joint...I must admit that I have forced myself to manage it though!!!

My card today features a Hobby House pre coloured image from a sheet of various sizes called A Christmas Tale. They are all owls or birds and I think they are quite cute. I have made up the whole sheet of images but will just show you two of them today.



To solve the problem of pulling papers out of my stash, I just used DP from a 6x6 stack that was already  out on my desk. It is called Christmas Wishes from First Edition. The DP all have a fabric texture and many of the papers are glittered already. Bit of a bonus!

Not much cutting of papers here. I just trimmed up my DP to fit my 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 cards and then just added a K&Co border backed with a snippet of the same red Bazzill card.  Normally, I would consider that a waste of paper and would inset the border into the DP... But that way would have been more work for my hands.

Luckily, I had some pre cut Spellbinders scalloped circles already cut from the red Bazzill heavy weight card and had some Stampin' Up ovals already stamped with a variety of words mounted on some oval scalloped punched snippets of the same red Bazzill card.  Snippets of green metallic shimmer card were cut with a  Martha Stewart Holly punch and teensy rhinestones make up the berries.

The second card from this sheet of images is this adorable owl family. I used a strip of script DP from the First Edition stack and again I just laid it overtop of the background DP. Joy is from a package of script dies by Sizzix Tim Holtz and is called Script Holiday Words.


Pretty quick and fairly simple. A random dusting of stardust stickles on the image and the Joy script and these cards were finished!

I am entering this card in the following challenges.

1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets.

24 comments:

Jane Willis said...

Lovely cards, and it is WONDERFUL to see you crafting again.
Jane

Donna said...

These are adorable! Easy is good for sure, especially this time of year. Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your knuckle. I hope it heals quickly now. I've been plagued with a double ear infection for the past few weeks. It just dawned on me that I owe you an email. I have to go unbury that email and answer it. Had a chuckle over your husband and the charge card. I do believe I'd find another place to keep it for a while until you heal. That way it wouldn't be so painful using it. Have a wonderful day and thanks for sharing these awesome cards!

Sandra H said...

Both of your cards are gorgeous and those images are just so cute!

brenda said...

Oh dear oh dear Mo, that's not good at all, can't get your credit card out you say, how will you survive ?

But so nice to see you are managing a bit of crafting and such a lovely traditional make at that.

Many thanks for your kind visit and words, much appreciated.

B x

mamapez5 said...

Well done. Two lovely cards. This week I sent my grandson a little saying that many years ago I wrote inside the cover of my Bible-'Don't say "I can't because..." but instead say "I can even though...".You've lived up to that admirably! I hope your hand heals soon so you are more able to do the things you need to in the run up to Christmas. Kate xx

Di said...

Wonderful cards Mo and it's great to see you blogging again! I feel for you about the knuckle still being sore - I sliced right across my right index finger knuckle a lot of years ago and it was tender for quite a while after it had 'healed'. Keep practising with the credit cards though :)

Hugs

Di xx

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

It is a super festive card! I love all your choices of paper, image and little die cut snippets. You would not know that you limited yourself to supplies that were already out!

I hope your hand keeps feeling better and better each day!

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Two gorgeous cards Maureen, love the images and the papers too. Glad that your hand is well enough to be able to use the Credit Card still, hope it will soon be back to normal.

Sue xx

Anonymous said...

these are both so festive and the images are adorable!! i love the papers too! glad you're well on the way to healing. i'm thinking that pulling out a debit or credit card is good physio. :)

cotnob said...

Two fabulous cards Maureen, such adorable owl toppers and lovely papers.
I'm sorry to gear that your knuckle is still painful, I hope it is soon much better.
Pauline
x

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
these are so gorgeous and I love your wonderful design and the grogeous owl images.
Sounds like you might need physio on that hand.
But so glad it's on the mend.
Not nice having trouble with your debit card as we don't realize how much we use them now.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Jean said...

I love your cute cards Mo, gorgeous festive backing papers too.
Glad that your finger is healing, I hope it is soon back to full working condition.
Jean x

Kathleen said...

So very pleased that your knuckle is finally getting on the mend.
These are two fabulous card, super images, gorgeous papers and just loving the Christmas colours.

Kath x

Mrs A. said...

Both adorable cards and gorgeous festive colours. Plessed to hear that your hand is getting better. hugs Mrs A.

Carol L said...

What a fun pair of cards, and I love those little owls on each one! Praying for complete healing of your finger - that just stinks!

Brenda said...

I'm sorry about your knuckle Maureen and even sorrier that I don't know how you hurt it as I'm such a sporadic commenter these days. Glad you found a way to make some adorable cards. I really love those cute images!!! Hugs, Brenda

Linby said...

You will just have to get him to use his credit card for you LOL! Do hope you continue to improve. Love these cards, those DPs are lovely.

MaryH said...

You've done a marvelous job given your handicaps just now (got a chuckle from the debit card story!) Love these cute owls and lucky you to have lots of the elements so you could use them without too much difficulty. The DP is so pretty, and you've succeeded admirably in making some totally bright & fun cards, even with your hand out of commission. HOpe the healing goes really fast for you. TFS & Hugs

Princess Judy Palmer said...

This card is adorable. I'm sorry about your knuckle. Those finger injuries can really mess up your crafting life. I laughed that it's hard to get your credit cards out though. Put them in a lanyard around your neck and then go on a spree.

Pat said...

I love these cute owl images Maureen and the papers go beautifully. So pleased that your knuckle has healed enough for you to at least start to get back into cardmaking. It must be so frustrating for you, but hope that it has improved more by Christmas. x

Darnell said...

Your idea of "making do" is 100 times more fabulous than a lot of us manage with all our appendages, Maureen! They are both so gorgeous!! (That was pretty funny about you somehow managing to get that credit card out of your wallet, haha! I am glad you are finally almost healed!) Happy Holidays!! Hugs, Darnell

Chris said...

Hi Mo, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. Popped over to return the compliment! So sorry you injured your hand, sounds very painful ( had to scroll down to see what happened... I'm nosy that way!) Must be so frustrating not being able to craft easily...hope you're not doing anything silly like housework to impede it's recovery! Impressed you have the determination to use credit card though! Hope it heals quickly now.
Beautiful cards, those owl images are delightful, the papers and designs are lovely.
Chris
x

Greta said...

Glad you're improving, Maureen! Such cute images & beautiful papers!

KT Fit Kitty said...

Very, very sweet cards, Maureen! I love these adorable owl toppers and gorgeous papers! So glad to read that your healing and I hope it continues!