Friday 25 July 2014

July Rudolph Days - Card #47 Dashing Again, and Card #48 Who Loves Ya

July 25 can only mean one thing...it is Rudolph Days over at Sarn's Stamping For Pleasure. This is a fun way to get your Christmas cards finished before we are into the busy Christmas season. You have until the end of the month to link your post featuring two Christmas cards.

Card 47 Dashing Again.
I have used this stamp before and loved how easy it was to handle. It takes a 5x7 card base though, and that is not a card size I make very often. But horse themed cards are always popular with my family (and with Little Miss C) so I decided to cut a 5x7 card base and get on with it.


While rummaging about in my snippets files, I found a teensy piece of pink patterned DP...so teensy it was just large enough to cut the Impression Obsession mini snowflake dies. I found they blended in a bit too much so used red diamonds to make them pop a bit more.

 Now, I tried to capture the look of random look of enamel dots that I see everywhere in blogland at the moment. I do not have enamel dots in the right sizes or colours, (and I am on a spending freeze)  so substituted red and pink rhinestones. It is harder than I thought to get that random placement look!

I added a little stardust stickles to her fur hand warmer...just a touch of glitter...it is for Christmas after all.

Recipe
Card base - hand cut from my stash
DP- pink background is Basic Grey 2011 Out of Print, B side. This is my VOS item.
The pink snowflake paper is unknown as is from my teensy snippets files
Card Stock - snippets of black and red card from my stash
Dies - Spellbinders Fanciful lattice for the large frame;  Impression Obsession mini snowflakes
Bling - red and pink teensy diamonds from my stash
Stamp - Stampendous Sleighbells

I am entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Rudolph Days Stamping for Pleasure - must be Christmas and must be 2 cards on the same post
2. Marks Finest Papers Christmas Card challenge - Must be Christmas
3. Penny Black and More at Allsorts - Dies/Punches
4. 52 Christmas Card Throwdown - Christmas in July Colour challenge (I used grey, hot pink background, medium pink patterned snowflakes and pale pink on the ladies dress)

Card 48 - Who Loves Ya

You would think that I don't have any other Xmas stamps as I have used this one so often! Truth is my daughter loves owls and will probably appreciate a few of these owl cards to send out to her friends.
I tried really hard not to get too mitchy matchy with this one. I wanted it to by a bit zingy...a bit brighter and more vivid than my usual colours. The background paper is highly embossed...has a lovely delicate sheen IRL.

I even remembered to add a little lace on this card...usually I forget to plan some sort of card stock piece to affix it to. I like to hide the raw edges and usually remember my ribbon or lace after everything is glued in place.
 I got on a bit of a roll with the zingy feeling and decided to add some feathers...owls do have feathers after all. Just not sure if they are blue! lol  Here is a close up...



Recipe
Card base - from my stash
DP - Best Creations Merry Christmas Glitter pad for the Green snowflake paper
Card Stock -  snippets of pink  Bazzill from my stash
Dies - Spellbinders Labels 26 for the image, then traced the outside of the same die and hand cut the dark pink mat behind.
Bling - feathers from my stash (these were left over from making hair fascinators)
Embellishment -  K&Co 3D snowflake
Ribbon/Lace - wide jute ribbon from my stash, green crochet lace picked up on some thrift shop outing last year
Stamp - Stampendous Owl

As Sarn announced, I will be taking over Rudolph Days in 2015. Hopefully I can live up to Sarn's wonderful job with this challenge!!!

I am entering this cards in the following challenges:
1. Rudolph Days Stamping for Pleasure - must be Christmas and must be two cards on the same post
2. Marks Finest Papers Christmas Card Challenge - must be Christmas
4. Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra - must be Christmas
5. Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - layer it up (I have 9 layers)

36 comments:

Doreen said...

Gorgeous cards,love the images.xxx

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous colours here on both cards and the gorgeous images and classy style is appealing.xxx ♥aNNie The Journey is the Start

Sue said...

Love both these cards Mo! and I hope the storms have gone now..have a great weekend huggles Sue xx

Debs Willis said...

Love the cards, would never have thought of a pink snowflake, but it works! and the penguin is so cute!
hugs
Debs

Em Louise Fairley said...

Love both cards :)

Hugs,
Em x
Creative Em

Erika said...

Hi Mo I hope you have better weather now?
Great Christmas cards, lovely framing of your images and fab layering too.

Happy crafting, hugs Erika. x

jimlynn said...

Both are wonderful! I love the look on the rhinestones on that first one and of course the image and framework too. Love both of them.
Lynn

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Mo, what gorgeous cards, I especially love the first one, it's a beautiful image and your colour theme is wonderful.
The little owl is so cute, great colouring and design, have a good weekend, Kate x

Carol L said...

What a great array of cards for Christmas! I love the sentiment and awesome border on the first, and those feathers on the owl card are a hoot! well done!

Tracy said...

LOL Those owl feathers can be whatever color you like. Both cards are beautifully done. I have one Christmas card under my belt. sigh....long way to go Hugs!

Sassy Raggedy said...

These are beautiful Christmas Cards. You are almost to 50..Wish I could be there to see you shopping the first time after #50. lol Hugs, joann sassy raggedy

Greta said...

2 neat cards--LOVE the first one!

meg said...

love the traditional scene in the non traditional colours, love the second because I love owls.

Jean said...

Two fabulous cards I love them both. The first is a lovely image stamp and I like your mini snowflake die. The owl in the second is so cute and the joy sentiment is perfect.
Thank you for pointing out my link problem, I put it down to late night blogging, Sarn has fixed for me now.
Jean x

Pat said...

I love both these cards Mo with the red lattice background on the first and that gorgeous glitzy green with that cute owl. Pretty feathers too. x

Di said...

Two brilliant cards Mo! The owl is a real darling :)

Hugs, Di xx

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
2 fab cards. Love your designs for this challenge, especially the owl he looks as if he has had a Christmas tipple already.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

mamapez5 said...

Love the cards. That is a very neat little snowflake die. Mine are chunkier than I need quite often. The second card is great. And why not blue feathers? Your owl is blue! I look forward to continuing to post my Christmas cards on your blog next year. Well done to you for agreeing to keep it going. Kate x

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Gorgeous Christmas cards Mo, the first one is very pretty and the second is fun with the cute owl and the beautiful feathers.


Warm hugs
Maarit

Pia S said...

You managed to pick the perfect spots for the gems on your first card. And I agree, the random look is quite tricky to create! I love the image you've used.
As for the owl it's one if the cutest! It has such a fun whimsical look. I usually remember to plan for lace and ribbon, but I often miss out on the sentiment though.
We still have temperatures above 30 degrees Celsius. I look forward to the heat wave being over. Today we hade like 5minutes of really heavy rain. I was sitting outside on a cafe just up the street from where I live, and we all just sat there getting wet, it felt so good having the rain cooling us down.

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Mo loving both your wonderful Christmas cards the first one is fabulous the second one looks such fun superb creations.
hugs
lorraine x

Sarn said...

I seem to be having a lot of trouble with leaving comments at the moment so am checking all my Rudolph Day entrants . . . definitely left you one - but it is not appearing.

So . . . just to say that I love these 2 festive makes Mo. Thanks for playing along. Rudolph Day fans are pleased that the challenge will continue with you next year.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Hettie said...

Congratulations on taking over the Rudolph Day challenge! Well done.
These cards are gorgeous. I love the little owl feathers. I hope he didn't feel the pain when they came out!
Hugs
xx

Anonymous said...

these are both so pretty and festive! of course the feathers would have to be blue since the owl is blue; a fun embellishment. you're way ahead with your christmas cards - so good for you. thank you so much for playing along with us this month at penny black and more.
linda

LesleyG said...

Fabulous cards in lovely colours, an elegant sleigh, and definitely zingy owl! Xxx

cotnob said...

Two fabulous Christmas cards Mo, I love the colour combination on the fist one and your owl is adorable along with your wonderful feather embellishments.
Pauline
x

Mynn xx said...

Two fabulous cards! LOVE the colors you used! Thanks for joining us at 52CCT! :) HUGS! Mynn xx

Danielle Vincent said...

Two gorgeous cards! Love the sleigh and lattice and that owl card is just a hoot (sorry I couldn't resist). Thanks so much for joining Christmas in July at 52CCT!

brenda said...

Running very late here Mo and trying hard to play catch up before we go on our hols this week.

A delightful pair of cards and perfect for our theme this month.

Thanks so much for joining in at Penny Black and More this month.

B x

Ruth M said...

What a lovely Christmas card Mo, I think you did a fab job on the random placement of the gems! Random placement of elements takes me longer than putting the rest of the card together - I wish I could plonk randomly but I have to be precise in my randomness to be satisfied LOL!

The sleigh image is so charming, I love the layout and you used the colours to great effect!

Thanks so much for joining our blog hop at 52 {C}CT! Ruth x

MaryH said...

I'm trying to do CC catchup a little bit this evening, but saw these cute cards & thought, while I'm here, I can do a Rudolph comment too! I love your itty bitty pink IO snowflakes. I did the same thing with the silver Peace on the round nativity card. Love the dashing through the snow image too. Your owly card is adorable, and loved all the nifty colors. I think it will fit your daughter's taste very well, and it's extremely cute! Good job on both cards. TFS & Hugs

susiestacey said...

Lovely card.
Thank you for sharing at Penny Black & More @ allsorts and good luck x Susan x

Shirley said...

thank you for joining us this month at penny Black and More. Both your cards are delightful.
Good luck in our prize draw and we hope you will join us again soon.

Shirley

Deborah Frings said...

I really like this vintage Christmas sleigh - and the gorgeous lattice background too. Such a pretty card. Thanks so much for playing along with our 52CCT Christmas in July blog hop.

BTW - love the owl card too.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Mo, just read on Sarn's site that you are going to be taking over the Rudolph Day challenge - good for you!

Your cards are terrific - love them both. Aren't you organised - you've even keeping a tally ... I should take a leaf out of your book and number mine too. I'll start next year :)

Hugs, Elizabeth xx

Unknown said...

That sleigh stamp is lovely. I really like that the snowflakes are pink. And you did a great job with your random gem placement. The owl is seriously cute and the blue feathers are a great touch. Fab cards.